• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Nightcrawlers?

Where is a cheap place to buy crawlers. I'm not excited about paying $3 a dozen.

------------------
Rip Lips

buy or make a worm bed i spent about 45 min last night after the storm picking and i got a little over two hundred

Does anyone know of a good place to pick crawlers in Waconia or Cologne?

Walmart sells 2dozen for like $2.79 or something. I think FleetFarm also. There the Eagleclaw ones and some of them aren't the biggest crawler.

I pick my own as much as possible. Cheap and better quality.

Plus some walmarts are open 24hrs

I ended up checking the baseball feild in Cologne and picked about 4 dozen. I will be heading out tonight again, if it rains.

I actually have a night crawler farm. Yeah I have cement walls leading through the ground and up to prevent them from getting out. And it costs nothing to feed them, just throw some trash and hey, you're recycling fast too! But it smells, so make sure to buy some nice smelling stuff, cause if you don't you won't be able to sleep at night, believe me. It only takes up about 3 square feet and when it rains they all come up. And since that thunderstorm last night up northern by Anoka and Andover, there have been a lot of em. Thats my suggestion.

Walleyenutz,

A super easy way to get crawlers anytime (other than winter) is to wait until after dark and either turn on a sprinkler or lay a hose on the ground and turn it on (if using a hose you cover a larger area if you put it on a grassy incline in your yard). Leave it on for 20-30 minutes. Go out with a flashlight and they will be all over the ground. If you really saturate the ground they actually come all of the way out of the hole and you just pick them up. If not they leave their tail in the hole and will suck themselves back in the hole very fast if you are walking to heavily or you don't have a quick hand. The light will occasionally scare them down the hole too. You should be able to get dozens of them this way. Good luck!

I've got a worm breeding box in the fridge. Unfortunately it's taking them nightcrawlers forever to make babies. Anybody have any clue how to speed up the reproduction process? At last count I only had like 10 new worms. And that took all winter.

i was wonderin if any one could explain exactly how to make a worm bed in your yard so when it rains the go up in to it

Zap'em!
Yup, just soak the ground good and take two steel rods about two feet long and attatch them to an old extension cord and plug it in and watch the crawlwers come out of there!
It works!
Just unplug the cord before picking up the crawlers!
Good Luck!

how do you zap them exactly like how do you zap them wut you need and how you do it

You make a bed by getting some 1x2's, construct into a box oh say 20x30x12and covering it with window screen. Just staple
it on all around. Dig a hole in your garden
in a shady place and make a lid with plywood. Don't over fill your box with soil, leave it sticking out a little. Wet your garden down in the evening and go out after dark. Use a dim flashlight as they don't like bright light. They like corn meal but don't over feed to the point that they can't eat it all. If you want to lighten up your box soil use shredded news paper as they will eat this too. When you go to dig them out be sure not to go through the screen. I have hade worms winter over in a box like this. Good luck!

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• mulefarm
      With the early ice out, how is the curlyleaf pondweed doing?
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   The big basin, otherwise known as Big Traverse Bay, is ice free.  Zippel Bay and Four Mile Bay are ice free as well.  Everything is shaping up nicely for the MN Fishing Opener on May 11th. With the walleye / sauger season currently closed, most anglers are targeting sturgeon and pike.  Some sturgeon anglers are fishing at the mouth of the Rainy River, but most sturgeon are targeted in Four Mile Bay or the Rainy River.  Hence, pike are the targeted species on the south shore and various bays currently.   Pike fishing this time of year is a unique opportunity, as LOW is border water with Canada, the pike season is open year round. The limit is 3 pike per day with one being able to be more than 40 inches. All fish 30 - 40 inches must be released. Back bays hold pike as they go through the various stages of the spawn.  Deadbait under a bobber, spinners, spoons and shallow diving crankbaits are all viable options.   Four Mile Bay, Bostic Bay and Zippel Bay are all small water and boats of various sizes work well. On the Rainy River...  Great news this week as we learned sturgeon will not be placed on the endangered species list by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.     The organization had to make a decision by June 30 and listing sturgeon could have ended sturgeon fishing.  Thankfully, after looking at the many success stories across the nation, including LOW and the Rainy River, sturgeon fishing and successful sturgeon management continues.   A good week sturgeon fishing on the Rainy River.  Speaking to some sturgeon aficionados, fishing will actually get even better as water temps rise.     Four Mile Bay at the mouth of the Rainy River near the Wheeler's Point Boat Ramp is still producing good numbers of fish, as are various holes along the 42 miles of navigable Rainy River from the mouth to Birchdale.   The sturgeon season continues through May 15th and resumes again July 1st.   Oct 1 - April 23, Catch and Release April 24 - May 7, Harvest Season May 8 - May 15, Catch and Release May 16 - June 30, Sturgeon Fishing Closed July 1 - Sep 30, Harvest Season If you fish during the sturgeon harvest season and you want to keep a sturgeon, you must purchase a sturgeon tag for $5 prior to fishing.    One sturgeon per calendar year (45 - 50" inclusive, or over 75"). Most sturgeon anglers are either a glob of crawlers or a combo of crawlers and frozen emerald shiners on a sturgeon rig, which is an 18" leader with a 4/0 circle hook combined with a no roll sinker.  Local bait shops have all of the gear and bait. Up at the NW Angle...  A few spots with rotten ice, but as a rule, most of the Angle is showing off open water.  In these parts, most are looking ahead to the MN Fishing Opener.  Based on late ice fishing success, it should be a good one.  
    • leech~~
      Nice fish. I moved to the Sartell area last summer and just thought it was windy like this everyday up here? 🤭
    • Rick G
      Crazy windy again today.... This is has been the norm this spring. Between the wind and the cold fronts, fishing has been more challenging for me than most years.  Panfish have been moving in and out of the shallows quite a bit. One day they are up in the slop, the next they are out relating to cabbage or the newly sprouting lilly pads.  Today eye guy and I found them in 4-5 ft of water, hanging close to any tree branches that happened to be laying in the water.  Bigger fish were liking a 1/32 head and a Bobby Garland baby shad.   Highlight of the day way this healthy 15incher
    • monstermoose78
    • monstermoose78
      As I typed that here came a hen.  IMG_7032.mov   IMG_7032.mov
    • monstermoose78
      So far this morning nothing but non turkeys. 
    • monstermoose78
      Well yesterday I got a little excited and let a turkey get to close and I hit the blind!!
    • smurfy
      good......you?? living the dream..in my basement playing internet thug right now!!!!!! 🤣 working on getting the boat ready.......bought a new cheatmaster locator for the boat so working on that.   waiting for warmer weather to start my garden!!!
    • monstermoose78
      How is everyone doing? Holy moly it’s chilly this morning I stayed in bed and will hunt later today when it warms up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.