Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
fishingaddict

deep cycle batteries

fishingaddict

does anyone know the concentration of sulfuric acid in deep cycle batteries?

Either in Molarity, Normality, percentage anhything?

I can figure from there.

thanks
fishing addict( a chemist who does not know the conc.)

Eds

Speaking of deep cycle, this is probably a dumb question but I'm not a boat guru, yet. I have two smaller ones that are completly dead, won't hold a charge, so I've never had to get rid of these before. Any store like fleet farm will take them right? Do they do any exchange program thing.

JOHN DENNY

specific gravity is normally between 1.270 to 1.300. Use a hydrometer to check each cell after the battery is charged. Cells should be within 5% of each other. Remember that higher sg means more power but shorter overall life span.

------------------

Swamp Scooter

Fleet or anywhere will take them but you will be charged $5 for the disposal. Also you will be charged $5 when you buy a new one if you do not return an old one at that time. Sam's has them cheap.

fishingaddict

buy your batteries at fleet/farm.

I have been buying my deep cycles from them for 15+ years and never have had a problem.

I only problem I have ever had with a battery is when I bought it at Batteries Plus.(lasted 1.5 yrs.)

Nuf said!

fisher98

boys--

the best batteries that i have ever used are Interstate Batteries!!! I have 2 trolling motor batteries that last forever...this past weekend i prefished on friday, tournament on saturday and sunday...and the battreries never skipped a beat..(of course i recharged after saturday but still!!) i also have a cranking battery that only needs to be charged about once a week!!! Plus there customer service is outstanding....new store is located on 85th street and Xerxes in Brooklyn park...

fisher 98

fishingaddict

If you maintain them properly. I can get 4 good solid years out of each battery. (with heavy use).

When I say maintain- keeping them off the concrete in the winter. Checking the charge time from time in the winter- if low add a trickle charge. Making sure they are full of fluids.

You get the idea.

fishing addict

Rywheat

Fleets batteries have been nothing but bad luck for me boat is now 4 years old and I'm going on my third set of batts I brought 2 back 366 days after I bought them and they would not warranty them either funny thing is it is a leep year as well

korn_fish

I had two champion deep cycle 95 amp hour batteries where I used one for 5 years, and the other I used for 8 years. Primary use was for my fishouse in the winter to run the loights and a small 12 volt TV, 12 volt fans. They would stay in the fishouse when not in use and only brought back when they went dead. Secondary use is for live well and other accessory usage in my boat during summer months. So no really hard use, but didn't do much for maintaining them.

The 5 year one retired early due to being run over by a tractor smile.gif Don't ask smile.gif

The other battery should have been retired at the same time as it quickly went down hill and now loses it's charge in a day when not even using it.

I now have a three year old 35 amp hour Everstart, and a new 115 amp hour Everstart

[This message has been edited by korn_fish (edited 05-11-2004).]

Giant_Jackpot

That thing about not keeping batteries on a concrete floor is BS.

EBass

Psst..I brought in two leaky trolling motor batteries into Napa Auto Parts and they didn't charge me anything. This was last fall.

jigginjim

Oh ya.! Keep in mine the idea of maintainance free BULL*&%#. You still need to remove the covers and add water. I bought a 140amp three yrs ago. Last fall I removed the charger, had lunch, went out and the thing was dead. Removed a cover when I got home it was dry as a popcorn fluffy.
The guy at the shop claimed that "you never need to add water to this battery." Next time I see that guy We're going to the doctor
to remove my foot from his ______.
The jelly cells maybe more but wiating for more info.
Keep the lines tight and batteries charged.
jiggin jim

Kab Dreamin

My Batteries Plus batteries are on their 4th year and doin' fine.

Kab Dreamin

Giant is right. Go to any battery manufacturer's website and they will usually address the battery on the concrete myth.

Giant_Jackpot

I have been reading these battery posts for a couple of years now and there have been glowing endorsements for every battery manufacturer out there. There have also been negative comments for every battery manufacturer. About 10 years ago I heard that there were only a few companies that actually manufacture the batteries. It is my guess that there a re people out there that have had a bad experience with one brand and good experience with another but both batteries actually came from the same factory. I have worked for a company that made battery chargers and although I will not claim to be an expert on batteries I know enough to make the following statement:

The best way to keep a lead acid, deep cycle battery around for 4 years is to charge it properly. It needs to be charged after EVERY use. The best way to do this is buy one of the on board chargers that handle all the charging phases automatically. You can get a good 2 bank charger for around $100 and they are well worth the money. Just plug it in and forget it. You can leave them plugged in all the time with no harm to the battery.

There are other things to consider too. Don’t leave the batteries outside in the winter and keep them charged throughout the winter. Also check the level of the acid and add distilled water as needed.

With that said, I buy my batteries at Batteries Plus based on price and service.