Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
PerchJrkr

we fought the law and the law won

skunked_again

This whole invisible line thing is ridiculous. Nobody should ever have that much discretion to fine somebody $600 or more for what may be a simple mistake, especially considering that the people enforcing the law are probably not the sharpest tools in the shed. How reasonable is that? What can we do to change it?

jadkins

Stay home......

jadkins

I believe they give you plenty of room for error. The guy that got busted admitted he was on the wrong side, so I don't think it was a mistake. I don't think you have to be to sharp to figure out if you are on the wrong side of the river. If you have any doubts get the proper paperwork then you won't have to worry about it. If all that is too much than there are plenty of other bodies of water to fish

PerchJrkr

yes. next year everyone will stay home..... thanks for the hot tip.

jadkins

Originally Posted By: PerchJrkr
you got it. i made the mistake of letting my buddy run the trolling motor, told him to get back over about a dozen times, waay too nice a day, and they are gonna be out.... he tried to bribe them with 31$. NICE

Just trying to explain that you knew you were over the line, reminds me of a good movie line "You were over the line, Smokey"

from The Big Labowski

DKL

I am having a bit of a difficult time with the whining about this and statements about how unfair it is. You knew you were over the line and decided not to get back. Deal with it.

Royal Dutchman

Oh Will, Will, Will

Hate to do it but have to - TOLD YOU SO!!!!

Would you have negotiated the fine down if I hadn't told you that also? I would like my share in US$ please.LOL

Point has been made by others but it is their country. The enforcement, legal, court systems, and even their thought process is strongly influenced by the European/British model and we are not going to change that.

Beats me how we can come from the same place and be so different but I believe they prefer to be different than us and who are we to tell them otherwise. We have been able to accomplish things in Canada that virtually everyone tells us are impossible simply by accepting their rules/laws and ways and not trying to impose ours upon them. Have heard enough "Ugly American" stories from them to be a bit embarrassed at times.

Had the International Boundary Commission survey crew with us for 6 weeks a couple of years ago while they were working the river and learned a lot over cold ones by the fire and fishing with them. This is my understanding: Each significant corner of the river has 4 monuments(concrete & steel) that form an X on that corner(have 1 in my yard). The actual border goes from X cross to X cross and can come quite close to either shore.

I am very happy they do not enforce the "map" border and I think any efforts to "force" them to change could have very negative results. It is quite simple for anyone who wants to, to comply with the regs.

Had the US International Boundary Commissioner(also chair of IJC), his deputy commissioner, The CA Deputy Minister of International Boundaries, and the US Survey Manager in my boat for a day and in my house for a fish fry and believe me there is open and active communication about the border.

My suggestion to anyone truly seeking change or information is to contact the US International Joint Commission (IJC).

I would like to know if anyone has recently fought a ticket in a Canadian court, if they won, and what it cost them?

PerchJrkr

im not whining. it was merely a post to tell you what happens. dont play with fire unless your wearin your asabestos undies

ohh ya doug- thanks for the tip, i tried to cry but i just couldnt squeeze out a tear! lol. i stared at the bottom of the boat while my buddy was shmoozing with them and trying to bribe them. i think without him there i coulda gotten it lower!

PerchJrkr

HA! with the exchange rate they only charged me 592 something. got off cheap!

DUCKJ

By the 2/3 rule. Does that mean they wont bother you if yur in the middle of the river? Better stay un U.S. side of the line just to be safe. No pointin taking any chances.

Duck

PerchJrkr

yes. apparently out to 2/3 they just do warnings. i still dont beleive a word he said. he also told us there were 6 crews out working the river that day and they were all dressed in their best, so it wouldnt be hard to pick them out. well we watched all day and saw them coming back, but no other ones.

The Hammer

Hey PerchJrkr

I think with license, bait and remote pass I had about 60 dollars into the trip every year. Some years I buy a year long license which is a little more. This year my pass was still good from last year, so that saved me about 36 dollars I think.

If you have 2 dwi's or 1 within the last 5 years it is hopeless and you wont be able to get a pass or into Canada.

Even if you have 2 from 20 years ago you can't get in unless you petition the Queen. I heard it is a pain in the arse.

You said you quit drinking for 2 years now. Thats great I know a lot of guys that have anywhere from 4-6 dwi's and they still get wasted and drive all the time.

Hope to see you up next year. It don't sound like the fine discouraged you at all.

I'll be the guy in the front of a maroon and gold Skeeter fishing tight to the Canada side.

Hammer

PerchJrkr

No i think you mis-read that. I havent drank since March 1st. I got my last DUI the night before. See now days you cant get away with it like you used to be able to. Another one and im in big trouble and the 4th one in 10 years is a mandatory prison sentence.

skunked_again

Anyone who is saying that they are tired of whining hasn't been busted. If they go by the "2/3" rule fine, I guess you can argue that that is reasonable, but that is not the law. I haven't been busted personally, but I think PerchJkr or anyone else has the right to whine over $600 for something like fishing on the wrong side of the river. I mean, wake up people, what difference does it make to them that we are on their side of the river? What purpose does that law solve other than give a few people headaches, a little money in the CO's pockets, and keep people from the U.S. worried about slipping a little too far over? If you can justify the rule, then you can tell people not to whine.

B420

Skunked,

Agree 100%!!! People on the river are FISHING, not illegally immigrating or smuggling things over there, simply fishing.

PerchJrkr

he did mention that it could have been worse had we been smuggling things... lol

PerchJrkr

ohh ya the guy had kinda of a cute border patrol chick with him.

lakowoods

Are you supposed to go before a judge and court before anyone can set a price for a fine and conviction? someone should forward this post to a high official in Ontario, and file a complaint in their court system and not have their locals do the due process that belongs in a courtroom. I bet a good attorney can help on this?

Gary Crichton

Someone had mentioned about Mexico fishing on the US side. THEY ALL READY ARE..........(did i say that outloud)

Seriously, Is there a way to find out exactly how much the Canadians receive each year from fines of this nature.

Do people fish this during all open water periods and have this problem or it mainly fished for 3-4 weeks after ice out.

PerchJrkr

ya pretty sure that officer was the judge jury and executioner. like i said im still baffled where they get their numbers from, and how they can go from 1,500$ to 600$. A good attorney can help on anything for enough money, but 600$ isnt worth it. its gonna cost 6,000$ for the work they would have to put into it. maybe worth it for other people if it brings changes in the system though....

Gary Crichton

Like its been said, It is a different country, however they have the same parts as we do and put 1 leg at a time when getting dressed. You would think with all the brain power politicians are to have,one would think they could work out a solution. But we are talking about politicians. I have only been there 1 year and we had liscenses for both sides so we didn't have to worry. In fact never even saw one. This was a few years ago. (7) I think.

Big G

It is all black/white guide lines.

However, I would challenge a "game warden" about "customs and border" crossing.

They are not in that realm of the legal world.

Customs officials take care of customs issues, game wardens are not border patrol.

You should have challenged.

Personaly, I would motor back over to MN side of the river and tell them to "prove it" and have them call US Customs.

I would NEVER let a foreign country try and dictate my freedom.

However, if you did truly cross the border (2/3rds rule isn't legit and fully arguable in court), you would be "double busted" because you are illegally crosing the border into the US, which indeed is a $5k fine. However, any ALCU liberal lawyer could get that thrown out as well, since there are about a bazillion illegals in this border every day.

I got busted a few years back and after a long "debate", we agreed to fishing Ontario waters without a fishing license. We had beer, bait, fish, everything wrong......

The Hammer

Hey Big G

The border patrols are the ones who hand out fines for going over the line. They were both out giving fines. The game wardens checked our license and didn't ask about a remote border pass. The customs officials asked us for the pass.

PerchJrkr

i think these were customs officials, but they asked about rbcp's and licenses and commented on the live bait

Berens Lake ON

It cost you less to get caught in Canada than it would to get caught on the non-USA side of Upper Red lake... Get over it!