Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FishermanHart

Looking For Jumbos! Help Please.

15 posts in this topic

Just looking for someplace in northern Minnesota hopefully closer to Duluth area, but will travel. I want to take kids out and get some perch big enough to eat. Any clues would greatly be appreciated.

Wouldn't we all. Let me know if you find any, I'll do the same.

I caught a few big ones right out from the Pike Lake landing......don't know if you want to eat them from there from what I've heard, but none the less, we did catch them.

Sorry to say I havent seen or heard of and Jumbos this year yet. Winni would be your best bet or Mil Lacs.

I know a place you can find jumbos. Their men don't like it when you try and pick them up and they kinda smell like old cigarettes, but the jumbos are there nonetheless.

Deathroe you been hangin out with Cheffrey, Quickstrike, Porter and the crew in Souptown again havent ya. \:D

I'm talking about perch, but you know my wife only fishs once a week, after catch and release there is alwas a jumbo around here.

DOHHHH! Im not touching that one man. If my wife saw me talking about her on here I may be cleaning fish for me and the dog. Heck it would be just me cuz she would take the dog. Man I would miss that dog. whistle.gif

I caught quite a few on black duck a couple weekends ago. NW of the island, about half way between the island and the the north shoreline, in 17' of water.

Check out the black duck area forum. The drake motel keeps pretty good tabs on the bite, they also have a good fish cleaning shack. I think if you stay there, they'll give you gps coordinates, maybe even loan you the gps unit. They're great people.

But the perch bite was definitely on. Caught several in the 9 inch range.

eaters start at 8", jumbos start at 10 for me.

I did phenomenal on th ejumbos in january, right around the burntisde bash. it has died down alot, and I have been putting most of my efforts on lake superior.

There's a few Jimbo's in Fish Lake. I would second blackduck though. Every time I go there we get monster perch. Pike Lake will give you a lot of action and I suppose you could sort throughout the day and wind up with a few certified jumbos.

Anyone been hitting jumbo's yet. Found some up by ely but had to sort through a lot of small ones. Brought home eight. Going looking again friday.

yukon,

where did you find them in ely?

thanks,

mike

I like chadwicks standards for jumbos. According to him only 3 of ours were jumbos (over 10) kept 5 about 8inches and many many 5 to 6 inches. We were out on armstrong. Am still looking for the jumbo jackpot and will be up again around ely next week.

I havent seen anything close to a Jumbo lately. I also consider a Jumbo about 10" or bigger. A few little ones yesterday on Fish Lake. Everything is getting to be little up there lately though. I think fish are in transition and not schooled as tight as they were.

We found fish in 4'-18' of water.