Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
247icefishing

Ottertail Perch

6 posts in this topic

Has anyone been out on Ottertail for Perch recently? Heading up there this weekend and wondering if they are biting and what depth... I'm assuming they are headed to the deep by now. Thanks!

Not necessarily are the perch gonna be deep. I haven't been out for a while on OT, but would say from the past years I've fished it at this time, I've had luck anywhere from 8-45 feet. They really can be anywhere. I generally shy away from the deep water perch because anyone you pull up, you end up having to keep because of the air blatter bursting. I also usually get a lot of small walleyes fishing this way as well, another reason I try to stick to the shallower depths. Don't be afraid to go very shallow, as I've caught 100's of perch in 8-10 feet of water this time of year, some being the true jumbo's in the 12 inch range. More than likely though, you can expect to do some sorting, usually keeping one out of about every 5 you catch that are in the 9.5-10.5 range.

Hows the bite been looking at coming up there either this weekend or the next just seeing with the warm weather if its help turn the bite on!

I was out on ottertail last weekend. Saturday was slow and Sunday the bite picked up with the warmer weather. We caught most of the perch between 27-40fow. We moved a ton on both days My dad reeled in a 26 inch female walleye full of spawn. It was fun to watch. Someone can catch her in May... If I can figure out how to post a picture I will post one. Good Luck

are there any recent reports of the perch action on ottertail

I haven't been out and I really haven't seen many rigs on the ice as I drive by it daily. The people I've talked to have said it's been pretty slow, but that was maybe a week ago.

Sorry for the lack of information.

MJ