Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fry Daddy 1

tefish? tks Fry Daddy 1Whitefish ?

23 posts in this topic

Anybody out there now of any lakes in the area where a guy can catch a few Lake Whitefish? tks. Fry Daddy 1

Vermilion?

Vermilion has a fair amount of whitefish but they are tough to find. I only saw one caught all winter!

Try the deepest water you can find in Big Bay. You might even get lucky and find a school of jumbo perch!

Cliff

Do you want white fish or would you be satisfied with tulibee? I know of a couple of spots that i can just about guarantee a mess. STINKY SLIMY but oh so good smoked

If you want to catch tulibees you can certainly get a bunch of them! They are everywhere and average around 1-1/2 to 2 pounds each. Fun to catch but they sure do stink!

Cliff

You guys ever get into those tulibees in the summer.

This happened to me once and only once, but mid-summer during a mayfly hatch, the water was just boiling and these fish were working the shoreline. We thought they were crappies, so we put on a small white maribou under a float and wouldn't ya know it....tulibees...hundreds of them cool.gif

One of the more memorable days of fishing I've ever had.

Thanks for the info guys. No I don't need tullies, im from western Mn. We have plenty of then here, My wife is from Aurora, so I will be up this weekend. I grew up in Bayfield Wis. so I like my smoked whitefish, they also make a wonderful fish boil. I tried Elbow lake N.W. of Vermilion but no luck, I dont know if the water clarity is a issue with whitefish or what. It sounds like the smelt have done a number on many lakes

. In leech lake the cormorants have taken there toll on Whitefish and Tullibees. The tribe actually has a program at thier fish hatchery of re-stocking whitefish into the lake. Fry Daddy 1

I have caught tulibees during the mayfly hatches using a fly rod many times. I got a fish on almost every cast if I was in a big enough school of fish! I even managed to hook a few walleyes too.

Great fun!

Cliff

That's a great idea. I run into them often in the summer, but could never come up with a good way to catch them.

I don't do flyrods but the little white jig and a float is on my list for next summer.

That would work great! They are very easy to catch during a hatch. Just watch for one to surface and then cast to it!

Cliff

I know Whitefish and Tulibees look similar but are different species. Do they have a different taste from one another?

To answer your original question, no, I have not heard of anybody or any place where you can go catch a whitefish. Summer or winter. They are just not much of a "catchable" fish from what I know (Which isn't much on this subject) I don't know if I have ever even caught a whitefish by accident. Most people that think that they caught a whitefish, actually caught a tulibee. Netted my share but thats about it.

I think they taste the same, but then doesn't most smoked fish taste like smoked fish?????

Whitefish are very good when smoked,deep fried, or baked. As far as I am concerned tulibees are not edible any way that they are prepared! Very FISHY tasting even when they are smoked! sick.gif

Cliff

I watched a program on TV (wi woods and waters) they where slamming the whitefish on green bay, he said they where over rocks but never said what depth. Lots of trout fisherman catch them summer and winter usually jigging not trolling. Whitefish is awsome to eat, my good friend used to net them and they are excellent fried just like a walleye, althow i think he takes out the mudline. If you find them let us know!

Back when I lived in wis. we use to smoke the whitefish with applewood, they are in my opinion one of the best smoked fish out there. I may give fall lake by ely a try, Ive heard the numbers are pretty good. Yes there is very little info out there on catching them, Some claim they frequent H2O similar to lake trout, but have a flair for mud flats, hence their turned down mouth? At any rate I will keep all posted if I catch some Fry Daddy 1

Originally Posted By: Cliff Wagenbach
Whitefish are very good when smoked,deep fried, or baked. As far as I am concerned tulibees are not edible any way that they are prepared! Very FISHY tasting even when they are smoked! sick.gif

Cliff

We bring back a few from LOW each year to smoke. I don't eat much but the wife sure likes them. maybe its just her taste buds are screwed up. ( Good thing she isn't addicted to this site, YET.

In the summer something silvery is often rising near the north end of Taylor's and Schmidt's Islands, splashing on the surface morning and evening. And sometimes there are big hooks down about 30 feet over 45 feet of water in head o lakes at about 47 56 20.1, 92 38 6.3 more or less. I wish I knew what they are. Never could get a look with the camera. Couldn't catch one either. Was out of dynamite.

Del,

The silver fish on the surface are probably tulibees and the large fish under them are probably muskies or large pike.

Cliff

Cliff, have you ever tried fishing on the south side of spider island?

I have fished the reef on the South side of Spider for walleyes.

I did not catch any white fish there but that is where they should be. Worth a try!

Small Pimples baited with waxies or crappie minnows is what they like. During the fall spawning run a tiny pink lead head jig with a small white twister tail works well.

They can be anywhere in the water column, top to bottom!

Cliff

Sorry I wasn't clear. The large hooks and the fish on surface are at two different times. I spent hours trying to get the hooks to bite one summer. There were a considerable number, too many for me to think they were pike or muskies. Another guy tried too. Never got a bite.

Dell,

Got it!

Yes, the fact that you could not get the fish to bite could be a sign that they were whitefish. They can be really picky biters!

Cliff