Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
thrownflies

Big Lake

16 posts in this topic

My family is considering purchasing property on Big Lake just east of Bemidji. We are avid bass and muskie hunters. Does anyone have knowledge of Big? How are water levels, fishing status etc. I read the dnr lake report. Seems like it should be a very health lake for bass, muskie and walleye. I've never been on the lake and don't know anyone that has. I'm a bit hesitant to buy while the water and ground are hard. And without putting a boat in the water. We don't want to miss out on a good opportunity though. Is the botton hard sand all the way around? Cabbage? Reeds? Rocks? How has the lake been fishing while the water is soft? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Chad

Big lake is a great lake, I would love to live on it myself. Ive caught Crappie, Walleye, perch, Pike, Muskie, gills, bass, it is full of structure, weedlines, etc. I havent fished it in the last 3 years after moving to Bagley, but before that it was one of my favorite lakes in the area. The only gripe, which many will agree with, is the public access is bad, and breakins are common.

Brother and family live three houses north of public access on east side of the lake. I have fished it several times and have had good luck on walleyes,and very large sunfish. Lake has good numbers and size of perch, northerns and musky. Buy the land you will be happy on one of the best fishing lakes in Minnesota.

Only draw back is the ever increasing fishing pressure and netting.

What precautions would I need to take for break ins? How big a deal is this?

do you mean vehicle breakins at the landing or breakins of homes?

I've heard both vehicle and home break-ins happen quite a bit over there, mostly at the public access and a few lake homes. Nothing really you can do to deter it from happening as its on the reservation, so it happens, unless you have friendly year around neighbors that will look out for your lake home if you do purchase one. But the majority of people who own cabins in the Bemidji area are seasonal and only come up on weekends in the summer so thats dice you roll when you buy on the reservation.

It is a good lake and there are plenty of species to go after on the lake. My biggest complaint would also be the access to the lake (quite bad if you ask me!)

I was referring to breakins at the access. Get a big dog for the home!

What is wrong with the boat access? Cement ramp and very sandy beach, I have put my boat in there several times and except for shallow water I have not had a problem.

I stayed at Big Lake Resort and they used a tractor to put my boat in the water. Water was very shallow and the tractor was able to go out far enough on the sand to launch the boat.

The boat access was in pretty rough shape for a number of years. Broken cement slabs a couple of big holes. I believe it was repaired before last fishing season. It's in fine shape now

I guess I remember there being a lot of rough holes trying to get back their during late Ice last year. Bad enough that my car wouldn't make it! (of course, my car doesn't make it to most lakes without getting good and stuck!)

If you want big bass and lots of them try 13 or the other lake you pass getting to 13.

Can anyone tell me where the lake called 13 is ? We fish Big Lake for our annual vacation and I haven't heard of 13

It's south of Cass about 8 miles

Lake Thirteen and Portage Lake are 6 miles south and 3 miles east of Cass Lake. Both have good numbers and size of fish.

Warning: You may lose some gas at the public boat launch on 13 but the fishing will be worth it.

Hey thrownflies, did you ever buy the property on Big Lake? If not you said it was a good deal, where, what and how much are my questions? May be I'll buy it.

Thanks

Tink