Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hookset 31

Trash!

11 posts in this topic

Was out on pokie the other evening looking for afew crappies when i come by a spot where there had been a couple of permanent houses and you can guess the rest of the story. It must of been easier to clean the garbage out of the houses before taking them off the lake, empty booze bottles,water bottles, and a frozen styro minnow bucket. I guess people think those containers weigh so much more when they are empty that they can't carry them off the lake. I have fished this lake quite abit in the last 6 years and this year has been the worst for trash, almost ever trip out after the first part of Jan. i have picked up someone elses trash. Maybe these people should take there mom with them so they have someone to pick up after em, or even better, stay home and throw trash out in your front yard.

yeah it is quite sickening! Ice fishermen must be pretty naive thinking that all that [PoorWordUsage] isn't going to end up on the bottom of the lake when the ice goes out. I hope people aren't such slobs during the open water season.

hookset,

you can't tell people like that anytning that would make a difference.

what you can and should do , in my opinion, is call the c.o. and tell him about it. I believe in most cases, they do get around and if the house has been there a while, they often take coordinates and names or dnr numbers, just for occasions like this.

that is how they learn.

the other thing you can and should do, in my opinion is, clean it up and shake your head at the stupidity of man.

I take a nice ride around a few lakes after the snow melts and pick up all kinds of [PoorWordUsage], from wood blocks, to shitbags, to scoopers (SCORE)! to ice tackle to..well all kinds of stuff.

it usually doesn't amount to much more than a garbage bag full, but we filled two dumpsters once up on Red Lkae.

I just enjoy being out that time of year so it's no big deal to do it.

Jigglestick- I know what you mean about those people. I will probably be seeing the c. o. Pretty soon as i do most years about this time. (not many people on the lake this time of year and he likes to visit.) But until then i will just keep on pickin up and shakin my head.

I remember the mess Red Lake had back in the days of 10 thousand people a weekend chasin crappies. We often took an extra garbage bag off with us too. Haven't been there for a few years but i amagine its not as bad as it used to be.

Like the guy that i fish with always says-you can crush, bend,and fold all the empties-put them in one bag- and there still lighter and take less room then when they were full.

hookset, did you manage to ice and crappies?

Kingkobbla-Haven't found any craps yet but i haven't looked in the regular spots yet . I did notice a group of houses down by troop town when i was fishin sunnies but don't know if anything is going there, might have to try it out unlees someone knows if there catchin afew. I've been tryin the main lake area, but might have to go to pooles or t.t. Will let you know if something produces.

Cruise thru some of the other lakes forums....this is unfortunately happening throughout the state.

If by chance you know who's house was there or a vehicle description, get ahold of a local CO. Keep in mind that these idiots may fish that same spot after houses have to be off so keep an eye out for them. I'm anal about making sure everything that goes out with me comes back with me. I absolutely hate seeing people leave garbage on the ice. Lord knows I've picked up my fair share of other people's junk over the years!.

Brian

I am with you on that one brian. I pity those that are so weak from fishing that they have to leave their trash on the lake. I make a point to pick up any trash I can and once in a while a score on a bobber, rod, or scoop. This helps me pass the time when I can't catch any fish. Call me at work if you want to try for some crappies late ice. DH

Welcome bowboy-glad to hear they're are of us out there.

bowboy,

I can't figure out your initials, drop me an email at bmc2680 at yahoo dot com. Or just let me know here.

Brian