Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Stark

Knife Lake

6 posts in this topic

im going to be going to knife lake at the end of march in search for the monster lakers. i was wondering if anyone has fished knife yet this season, and if you have what worked for you. i have only fished b-side for lakers.

does anyone have any info on where to fish on knife?

will the lakers be holding in the 30-80fow like the b-side lakers?

will i need to up size my lures in knife?

any info would be great!

thanks a ton.

mike

anybody know where i can get any info???

thanks,

mike

mstark83...I have been looking into a laker trip to knife as well. I haven't gathered enough information yet to feel comfortable making a long trek in like that. The B W website has some information on knife in the forums and elsewhere on their site so that might be worth checking out.

As for lures and fishing, I wouldn't think lakers would be any different than any other lake. I believe my navionics chip has contours for knife so if you have a gps that would help, otherwise explore laker looking structure. As for lure sizes I would have some guys fishing smaller baits and some fishing larger bucktail type baits. You should quickly find out what the fish like. Hope this helps a little.

You can find some anecdotal information in back issues of the Boundary Waters Journal and Sam Cook's travels to Knife Lake. For some reason both of these sources and I have had better luck on tipups then on jigging rods. Hunks of cisco. Sometimes on the bottom and sometimes suspended in the water column. The DNR lake finder on their website has lake survey information and maps which can be helpful.

Knife really is no different than any other lake. If you are going in with a sled dog outfitter, they'll have good places picked out for you. If you're going in by yourself, anywhere from the west end to Thunder Point where you find deep water broken by structure. We always liked to fish in 30-60 feet, but I'm sure depending on time of year and conditions that could fluctuate. We always did better with tip-ups but had some action with jigs as well.

we will be mushing ourselves into knife. we will most likely be fishing to west end.

thanks for the info.

mike