• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Oh its march 1st here i thought it was April 1st. He He. \:D

Made you guys look. I am curious though what is the most surprising fish has every one caught on the north shore? Hope I didnt tick any one off.

I caught a 5 pound northern out of the temperance river gorge some years back. Probably the only time I've ever been dissapointed to catch a northern.

I did see a guy hook and land a Pike in the Sucker River a few years back, ok probably 15 years back. Surprised me pretty good.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

SK and I hooked a couple pike in the Sucker last Spring. Once in a while we'll get one on the big pond when fishing the surface.

The oddest catch was a humpback salmon. It got snagged in the head while trolling mid water.

I've also seen a few pike in the tribs here and there. Does a 18 inch rainbow below fon du lac dam on the st. louis count?

Brookie under the 23 bridge on the St. Louis would have to be my oddest catch. Just dont see trout in the river hardly ever any more. Used to see some Browns by Boyscout years back.

Are the pike running up the rivers to spawn in the spring or are they following the smelt/trout to eat them as they spawn?

I've got a friend that use to do some diving off the rivers just outside Duluth and he said once in a while he would see schools of crappies and muskys off the river mouths.

Saw about 30 Walleyes in a north shore trib between Silver Bay and Grand Marais. I've also caught some pike in the mouths as well. I heard of a Musky caught in the beaver a few years back as well.

Hey Ran I know a guy who is catching Crappies out in the Bay. No Bull man. Get out your spring bobber rod. grin.gif

Caught about a 10 lb. northern off the Gooseberry mouth on first cast a few years back...

Like mentioned .... kind of a bummer when you expect a laker, rainbow, or salmon...especially on first cast...

On the opening day of the WI season a few years ago I caught a 2 and 1/2 pound Lg mouth, a 9 pound channel cat, and a 13 pound carp on three consecutive casts on the same bait. A firetiger rattle trap. grin.gif

Hi. I am new to this board, but I was in Duluth last year (down from Canada) and was flyfishing the second pool in from the lake on the Lester River and caught a largemouth (about 8"). Is this common for that river?

Hey Rickl welcome to FM. I don't think it is ever common but just sort of a interesting change of pace. It just goes to show you never know what you will catch in a river.

Originally Posted By: jimalm
It just goes to show you never know what you will catch in a river.

Thats the truth. My best one is a mudpuppy.

About ten years ago my old man actually did catch a 6 pound walleye off of the french in the fall casting spoons. Wierd!!

Kind of backwards, walleyes from a trout stream, but caught in a walleye spot. In the late eighties caught two walleyes in the St Louis, each had tags from the Brule, Wisc.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Ricklm welcome to HSO/FM. A LMBass is a strange catch.

One morning a few years ago I caught 2 sauger, 1 walleye, 1 crappie and several brown trout from deep hole in a small trib. Variety is the spice of life!

I thought maybe we would get quite a few various replies on this subject. Thanks every body ,very cool.The oddest thing I caught on the shore was my buddies hat when it blew out in the lake.

Last fall I snaged a hat in the lester. The camo hat said murphy oil crookston terminal, crookston is my home town. confused.gif

I know the Beaver River Mouth can have some nice pike. Guy I fish with, when he was young used to go down there for just Pike. He said it was not uncommon to catch 20+ pike there. I know of some nice walleyes being caught out of the Temperence and Cross Mouth's almost every year while Steelie fishing also.