• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Purchasing a new bow

SpearPike

Hi-

I am looking for some help. I have been using my dad's old bow for years now and I would like to upgrade to a new bow. I was just wondering where is a good place to look, around the St. Cloud Area. I was also wondering what is a reasonable bow(brand/model). How much I should plan on spending for a whole new set up? Thanks for your help in advance.

hey spearpike, i would go to either archery country by the crossroads mall or to mike's archery off of hwy 10. both are good places to get a bow set up. as for how much to spend is up to you you can spend from $600 to $1500. my best advice would be to go to either of the shops and shoot some of the bows to see which one fits you good and shoots nice for you and then go from their. i am sure they are trying to get rid of the '07 models so they might be a little cheeper. good luck on picking out you new bow.

I'm not from Cloud, so I cant help you there... But the above advice is right on.. Get out there and shoot a bunch. Take notes of what you like and what maybe you didn't like about each bow after you shoot it. Dont buy the first one that feels good. Sleep on it and then shoot it again a day or two later.

All the companies out there seem to make a pretty decent bow.. I'm not sure I could come up with a bad one. Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech seem to be the top right now.. PSE, Martin, Diamond are very close as well

You could spend as little as $300 on a full set up.. or as much as 1,000 on a bow alone.. its really up to you.

Yep, what DD said. Also, keep in mind that once you've bought the bow, it's easy to get a couple hundred more dollars into accessories. Sights, stabilizers, quivers, arrows don't come cheap these days. So... be sure to plan for that cost in addition to the bow.

Looking in Cloudy town area I would suggest Archery Country their located over by Cash Wise. Lots of bows, many brands, both left and right handed and clearance prices on '07 models (most $100 off). Another place to look would be Mike's Archery just off of Hwy 10 between Division St.(Hwy 23) and Benton Drive.

Just so you know, Mikes Archery is less expensive when it comes to providing accessory services on accessories you didnt purchase from them.

I bought a rest at sportsmans warehouse and then took it to archery country to have it set up, and even though I spent over $750 on a bow there the week before, they wouldnt touch it for under $20. It kind of angered me that they have that poor of customer service after spending that much money with them. So i went to mikes and they did it for $10. Which I was fine with paying because I hadnt purchased my bow from them and therefore they had no obligation to service.

I was in your spot last summer and ended up with a hoyt vectrix from mikes archery. I wanted to spend the money and get a nice bow that i will shoot for a long time. You could also check out Scheels in the mall along with archery country. When i was looking i had mixed results on customer service. I have had both excellent and so-so service at all three locations. good luck, shoot lots of bows, and have a price range in mind before going into the store, they can get expensive in a hurry.