Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crowhunter14

Ice Thickness

7 posts in this topic

Heading up to Ottertail area this weekend, just curious on the ice thickness. Anyone needing extensions yet? I was up two weeks ago and had about six more inches of ice before I would need an extension. Have a good one.

It's gonna be close this weekend to needing an extension. I have never needed one on Ottertail, but this year it might be close. I would never have thought we'd have this much ice after the crappy start we had with all the snow.

Bring it. It was -31 yesterday morning. You might not need it, but it would be nice to have it just in case. If you are drilling through a perm shack, you'll need it for sure. Portables, probably not.

The holes I drilled out there last saturday, i had about 7-8 inches to spare. Will there be that much more ice made??

I think it depends on the exact spot. There has been quite a bit of variance in thickness this year.

I would definately bring one. On West Battle last weekend I had about an inch and a half of clearance, and with -28 regular temps this past week, it's gonna be real close. I was on OT last Wednesday, and had about 4 inches of clearance, so again, It probabaly is gonna be really close if not over.

I found out yesterday reading in the ice fishing forum that Strikemaster web site in their special section has 10 in. extensions for 7.50 plus S&H and tax. At that price I couldn't resist.