• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chance to see the Missippi river bottom

The St Anhtony Falls pool has been lowered and will gradually fill back up by Friday.

They did this to inspect a tunnel and only do it every 20 years.

It is super cold, but if you've ever been interestedin seeing what's actually under the water now is a good chance.

I wonder what the Carp are thinking?

Here's some more info:

*February 20

Tour Highlights Drawdown of St. Anthony Pool

Friends of the Mississippi River

12:00 - 2:00p.m. Stone Arch Bridge, Minneapolis. On Wednesday, February 20th, you will have a rare opportunity to see the Mississippi River at Saint Anthony Falls lower than it has been for over 20 years. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will be drawing down the river about 13 feet between Upper and Lower Saint Anthony Falls locks and dams. The Corps is conducting the drawdown, which they do every 20 years, to facilitate a tunnel inspection. Taking advantage of this opportunity, Friends of the Mississippi River and the National Park Service will offer an interpretive tour of the Mississippi River at Saint Anthony Falls. John Anfinson and Dave Wiggins, from the Mississippi National River and Recreation Area, a unit of the National Park Service, will lead a walking tour of the area. Starting on the Stone Arch Bridge overlooking the river, John and Dave will discuss the site's historical significance, provide an overview of the lock and dam's construction, and identify important points of interest exposed by the lower water level. The tour will head across the bridge to Mill Ruins Park where participants will get a close look at the exposed river bottom. National Park Service rangers will also be in the area to answer questions throughout the day. If you are interested in attending this tour, please sign up in advance with Friends of the Mississippi River at [email protected] or 651-222-2193 ext 16

I was there for an hour today. As someone who fishes this pool quite often...it was very cool to see. I also saw two bikes, a shopping cart and a snowmobile on previously unexposed bottom. If it's going to be down untill friday, I would second the recomendation and go check it out.

Eric did you take any pictures? those of who currently live 240 miles away would like to see the drawdown.

Here's a shot my friend took yesterday

IMG_0036.jpg

And here's a shot from the paper:

2River0221.jpg

Here's a shot my friend took of the entrance to the actual tunnel that was being inspected. Notice the foot thick ice still clinging to the edges of the wall.

IMG_0027.jpg

• 1 month later...