Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Whopper Stopper

MarCum or Vex in the boat.

3 posts in this topic

Do some of you use your MarCum or Vex in your boats? I have my Lowrance 332 in the boat mounted on the dash. I was wondering how many also have a flasher and if you do where do have it mounted and where do you have your transducer? Just wondering if there would be an advantage to having both. Thanks for any help or tips!

WS

I have a graph at the console and used to use a flasher in the bow with the transducer attached to the bottom of the trolling motor. When I upgraded my trolling motor, I got a MinnKota with a universal transducer and bought a FishMark 480 for the bow. I like the history of the graph better than the flasher. Either one will tell you when you come to the edge of the break with the bow of the boat, if you see fish on the bow flasher/graph keep move forward to get your bait to the fish and with two sonars you cover more area.

I have one on the bow but I also run it in conjuction with a graph. Then I have history and real time. Throw a jig on and it is just like icefishing without the ice.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• eyeguy 54

Posted

probably eagles if fishing. I think the fultures like highways. :):) 

• monstermoose78

Posted

Thanks for the heads up as I  grouse that area and my dog is very young. I know I will be carrying my 40 cal when I go up grouse hunting.

• Perhaps immature eagles?  I don't believe they get their white head until 4-5 years of age..

• I second the Vermilion Club-great food and they always welcome the dog (black lab) on the deck and give her water. We have been over on major holidays (July 4th, Memorial day, etc) and can always squeeze in somewhere and if not, there's "the kid" who charges $10 for "their dock".....love the place! 

• monstermoose78

Posted

• You are right, it's a grouse.

• BringAnExtension

Posted

I am not a hunter and I live in southern Minnesota, so I don't know how to identify this bird.  It walked into our campsite at Tettegoche State Park last week.  I am thinking a grouse?

20160917_105407.jpg

1 person likes this
    • BringAnExtension

Posted (edited)

I don't have much to report, as I have not been fishing much lately, but wanted to add a topic on our quiet forum.

I finally got a chance to go out on Mazaska this past weekend.  I tried my usual methods with almost no luck.  Fatheads on a jig and under a slip bobber.  From 9 feet down to about 25 feet.  I had a couple of bites, but that was it.

Water temperature was still a balmy 68 degrees and a stiff wind was coming out of the southeast.  Even though I caught nothing, it was a beautiful day to be on the water last Saturday.

One day closer to hard water season ...

Edited by BringAnExtension
      1 person likes this
    • phillyfacks

Posted

We've got a cabin up on Pelican and I've definitely noticed less cormorants on the lake this summer.  The state did grant the owner of Gooseberry Island a permit to kill cormorants, which was done this Spring.  I talked to a DNR officer on the lake this summer and he said they had shot almost 400 birds, I don't recall the exact numbers but it was somewhere between 350-400. 

• Consider me in on a personal boycott of The Landing. Horrible horrible horrible customer service skills by the owners/management.

1) it is much quieter on the water without the big blasters running up an down the lake from the Landing.

2) Had a craving for wings while out fishing one night. Called ahead ordered up some wings- great taste- tiny crappy wings. Asked for a side of Blue Cheese and Celery - upcharge of like $3.00 for those. Washed it down with a bottle of Coors Light. $23.50

Large group went in one night and they usually tear up the bar. Were told they can't play jukebox until after 10 pm it was 9:40 PM- ONLY GROUP IN THE BAR.  "They are trying to build up an Ambiance"

Got their bar tab and they were done. Yearly group that dropped a lot of cash in the past. Never again until new ownership is on board.

Unfortunately they have deep pockets.

As soon as new ownership / management takes over the crowds will return.