Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
imhooked

traditional archery

11 posts in this topic

Anybody do the recurve or longbow?? I been thinking of going to that after years of compound since 15 yo. Only interrupted by a stint in Kosovo/Bosnia. I am ready for a challenge. Any advise??

I only shoot traditional. My first advice is to find someone else who shoots traditional that you can shoot with. Second is to find a bow that shoots light. Lets say 40 - 45 lbs. Remember there is no let off and the muscles are different than those used with your compound. The lighter weight will help develop form. Increased weights will come later.

Second thing, have fun and dont get to frustrated early. You will have more fun shooting traditional than you ever thought possible in archery.

Send me an email and I will recomend some other places to look for info.

I have a crazy nephew that hung up his compound bows for awhile and went traditional. But he went overboard. He cut and dried some wood and started carving his own bows. I got him some Buffalo leg tendons for backing and he he boiled his own horn glue to attach them. He carved his own arrows, but he bought some steel broadheads for them. After practicing all summer,on his first day in the stand, some bird hunters spooked a deer under his stand. Total hunting time was about half an hour, but it was a clean kill.

I have started to sway that way, I have a pse recurve and then started making my own hickory long bows, there is something special about shooting something that you have crafted yourself. I haven't got into shooting cedar arrows, still going to stick with alum. but I do fletch my own. I am going to go to coon rapids this year to the big traditional shoot in June.

I would second what mnmuzzleloader said and go to a traditional shoot lots of valuable information there.

I'm leaning to traditional myself. Fortunate enough to have a couple buddies that shoot recurves and one a longbow. Having a great traditional archery shop in Rochester really helps too. If you are in this part of the state shoot me an email and I will get you info on the shop down here. mkendall@crossroadscollege.edu

I have only ever shot traditional, my dad and i got into archery, and I got into hunting on my own. Up to about the twenty to twenty five yard line, its just as deadly as a compound, for me anyway. I know there are others out there, especially those that have heavier bows, that reach out beyond that. Go to a bow show (I don't know if there are any around here, i've only ever been to one in Kalamazoo Michigan) or visit a bowyer. The bows are one of the coolest parts, seeing how they are made, the beauty of the different woods, the different styles,etc. I am looking at getting a compound only because I don't have time to keep up the practice needed to maintain a competence with the recurve here in college, and I think that having sights might allow me to bowhunt without worrying as much about making the shot. In my experience, the guys at bow shops that stock a decent number of traditional bows are pretty cool about letting you shoot the different types of new and used bows they have in the shop. It is a ton of fun to learn to shoot without sights, just by judging the angle of the arrow and the distance of the shot. Also, don't think that you can use the same treestand without extra pruning. I made that mistake when my cousin let me use his stand, and I couldn't draw because my bow was so tall.

I think as soon as I have enough money I might consider buying a recurve. I have been shooting a compound for years now and recently I took an archery class in college (one of those GPA boosting classes that is also a required gen ed) where we shot recurves. It was really tough making the transition, but it turned out to be a lot of fun and I think I will like the challenge of it. I know it takes alot more skill and practice to master so if I did get a new bow over the summer I don't think I would even feel comfortable using it this fall.

i have a recurve and i really like it. its fun to shoot and its puts a test in ur archery skillz

i have a recurve and i really like it. its fun to shoot and its puts a test in ur archery skillz

Same with me, I shot compounds for a while, and just switched over to a recurve, what a difference. It's a lot of fun though. Hope to get my first deer with it this coming fall.