Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
UNIT

Lake Sag trout ?'s

4 posts in this topic

I am planning to come up next weekend to fish lake trout on lake sag and was looking for some help. I have very little knowledge of the lake so any help would be appreciated. We are going to be winter camping South of lake sag on Romance lake and plan to portage (bushwack) onto lake sag for a day trip of lake trout fishing. We will be walking so we will be limited to the south shore area of the lake. Has anyone fished this area of the lake in the winter time? Are there deep areas available that will hold lakers? Jigging, Tip ups, live bait, frozen ciscoes, depth, etc?

As mentioned before, any information that would help a first timer on the lake would be appreciated. I don't need specifics but general information to point me in the right direction would be great. I can do the rest.

Thanks in advance

UNIT

If you are going to make it up to sag and you head north straight through the shortest route I would head up around one of the small islands or off one of the points find 35-50 ft of water and try your luck. I would assume that the ice has to be pushing over 20" up there now also. So hope that you have a good back and knees because you will be on them by the time you are done. The ice on that lake always seems to be harder for some reason. If you wanted to head to another good spot go to the western side of Clark Island. About 100 yds off shore it should be close to 40 ft and I know that I have done good there before.

Silver & Yellow Pimps with minnow, tip-ups with suckers or shiners, there is a post floating around on here right now for favorite Laker lures, lots of good ideas, and tactics.

Berky is right on the money. 35-50 ft, with your favorite laker lure. We have always had pretty good luck with blue's and pink's in a variety of lures, jigs, etc.

Ice right off the corridor was pushing 26-28 inches last weekend. I recommend getting in that 35-45 ft zone right adjacent to deeper water.

Travel on the lake isnt as good as it was a couple weeks ago, the big winds have made all sorts of drifts all across that part of the lake. For the most part its pretty hardpacked and should be good for skiing. We had luck with ciscoes on the tipups hanging just off the bottom.

Head up 2 american point fish off da island in 50fow. Make sure to stop in at trail center for a burger there the best around.