Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
leechlake

how to install gps module

6 posts in this topic

okay I'm an idiot, last year my wife twisted my arm into getting a pontoon boat at the lake (I thought the ProV was plenty family friendly!!!) So, when I bought it I picked out a lowrance dual gps/sonar unit at Reeds and to my surprise it did not come with the gps module. I found this out after the pontoon was 190 miles from the dealer and on our lake (for those of you that haven't had the joy of hauling a pontoon on a "trailer" it will test your trailering skills to not dump the thing it's like a teeter totter). So...my question is when I install the gps module is it as easy as finding a good spot for it and then plugging it into the unit (like the power or transducer cables) or is it more involved than that?

Originally Posted By: leechlake
it's like a teeter totter).

I guess you've got a center lift pontoon trailer didn't ya ??

They are not fun to trailer around, you have to take these curves very easy. I tipped them once and almost rolled one once, so don't feel bad. Your trailer is wort some money, trade it for a standard bunk pontoon trailer.

Anyway, installing the module just needs a power source and connect main cable to unit.

Very easy task, ss soon as you power sonar up it will detect the antenna and search for satellites.

Just a heads up if you mount it on the backside of the unit it may not work. I spent hours figuring this out.

It isn't too tough. I used an marine band antena mount and with the "cone" that came with the GPS antena I mounted it that way so I could take if off easily. I can also fold it down so it fits under the cover with out sticking up.

gpsantmountqe5.jpg

Valv, I didn't buy the trailer, the dealer offerred to deliver the pontoon for me, but his delivery timing and mine were different so I used his trailer. Never again...

If you are flush-mounting the gps puck, a company called Rigged Rite (or something like that) makes an awesome flush mount adapter (might be called a T-mount) that is only about $15 and makes the installation super easy and super quick and super clean as long as you have a 1-inch hole saw. I have only seen them stocked at the big marine stores but it shouldn't be hard to order one.

If you can, try to get the gps puck 3+ feet away from the unit and away from other antennas (vhf or even fm) --- it's not crucial to do this, but it can help prevent some interference issues that might come up). Otherwise, just try to get it someplace where it has a clear view of the sky, without being blocked by things in the boat.

The antenna needs to be powered. It gets it's power from the head unit, as long as the head unit is powered correctly. There are two sets of power leads to the head unit, one for the unit itself and one for the network (the antenna is part of the network). Both need to be connected to the battery.

Good luck getting it put together.