Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bothun

How big is your hole?

16 posts in this topic

I'm spearing out of a 18 x 30" hole. We haven't been having the greatest luck as the guys 50 yards away spearing out of a 18 x 72 hole.

What im asking is do you generally have better luck with the bigger hole ableing you to see more?

(note: were spearing in 3 feet of water due to clarity)

Sorry, you need to buy me dinner before asking a questions like that.

My house has a 2'X4' spear hole which I like very much (after I get it cut that is). I have been able to spear some fish just sitting on the edge of the hole looking at my decoy - I feel this is the ideal size. Your live decoy can swim a little also and still be in the hole.

about 24" x 24"

Taken a few nice ones out of it, too.

this could be a loaded question grin.gif

the hole in my perm shack is 24x38 and my new house is 24x34 and havent had any problems except that everything I drop seems to go to the bottom of the lake \:D

I currently have a 20" X 38" hole.

my hole is 3'x4' but when the ice is this thick i don't think a big hole helps out a lot but early ice im sure having a bigger hole does help with being able to see

About 26" x 26" or 3 auger holes side by side in all directions.

hmmm,

I have a monster hole. If you are cutting it with a auger, which i dont, i have the saw, it would be 7 across the top and bottom, and 4.5 down. Huey and the guys saw my hole, and im sure they understand what im takign about

im thinking the 3 ft of water isnt helping matters either. water clarity is always an issue, if you can see the bottom usually makes life a bit better when spearing.

I can see the bottom fine. If I go much deeper is gets dirty fast. The neighbors are in the same depth 50 yards away and they are seeing alot more than we are using the same decoys.

They have two 2'x6' holes.

i really dont see hole size as an issue. is lite getting in the hole? are they sitting near better structure? or it could be thats the way it goes. had that happen to myself also. i know, kickem out of there house. hehehe.

46"x28" and lovin it!

mine is usually about 2'x3' but want to go bigger.

i hate having any light coming into the hole. I will pack my house as tight as i can, and double it where the hole is cut. IMO, the bigger the hole the better, and im sure by asking alot of people about that, they would agree with me

i hate having any light coming into the hole. I will pack my house as tight as i can, and double it where the hole is cut. IMO, the bigger the hole the better, and im sure by asking alot of people about that, they would agree with me

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables.

I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red

Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.

what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?

• I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?

• proguide

Posted

Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 

The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.

Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.

• leech~~

Posted

26 minutes ago, DANR said:

From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes.

Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring! :):)

• FishinCT

Posted

They were really slow today. I fished hard all day and didn't manage much. Went over tons of fish and they weren't active at all. Should get better as the weekend gets closer...I hope

• gizmoguy

Posted

Go with steel. Contact Isle supply.

• From the fall Pelican Lakes Association newsletter - DNR Fisheries Update:

You may have heard about the 454 adult cormorantsthat were removed from Gooseberrry Island this May by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Wildlife Services Unit under a permit from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  DNR staff looked at the stomach contents of 30 birds. Eleven of those birds had stomach contents including: 38 perch (mostly 4- inchers), 7 spot-tail shiners, 7 bluegills, 6 crappies, 1 rock bass, 1 pike, and zero walleyes. 

• Hello Friends:

Looking for some help as I've been up here since yesterday morning and only two 22" walleyes. I've fished fairly hard (5 or 6 hours) and tried all of my normal spots in Frazer/Smarts/Narrows area using all presentations with minnows and crawlers. Would love to have a walleye dinner (couple of 15's) for my black lab and I tomorrow night and any suggestions would be welcomed.

I'm not looking for spots, but general depth and bait.

Thanks guys

Andy

• delcecchi

Posted

It is great.  I don't know if they are still doing grumpy gary chicken this time of year but it is good.  They have specials on various nights, at least in summer.  

• ZachD
      Ok so every year Try to get the guys from work on a fishing trip. Trying to decide on where to go we usually rent a cabin and run portables. I am thinking Devils lake, LOW, or Red Devils we would do the lodge ice house package because the deal is too good to mess with bringing a trailer and sled or wheelers with.   what would you choose and any other suggestions Leech or Vermillion?
    • ZachD
      I plan on taking all my ice fishing equipment out of my shed this week I cant wait
    • fins_n'_feathers
      any  reports from today? we pounded through the washing machine waves all day and got nothing! Lead core,jigging, spinners haha! Ended up getting all our keepers within a mile of home when it was all over! Who else was out there? Am I the only one that did poor today?
    • proguide
      Cool nights and only a few warming hours each day have water temps coming down into the 50s this week.  This is actually pretty normal for the last week of September so there is nothing to odd here. 
        The catfish have slowed down over the past few days with this cool off.  They are still around to catch.  They are hanging near structure, usually on the drop off to the channel right next to it.  They are also on the softer side of the current in holes.  It seems that longer sit times are in order this week to allow the fish to come out, find and decide to eat the bait.
        Sucker seems to be the bait of choice right now.  Frogs just have not been getting any attention.
    • leech~~
      Thanks for the Update.  Hopefully they shoot 400 more next spring!