Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slick2526

summer fishing trip

4 posts in this topic

hey guys, plan on going to winnie this summer for atleast a 3 day deal. When would be the best time to get out their to chase the eyes and some perch? I was kind of thinking mid-late june but looking for some knowledge from others who fish the lake a bit.

thanks

I would recommend early - mid June if your schedule allows for that. Late June typically brings the may fly hatch and can have an impact on the bite. Early season like that, the walleyes are in shallow, water temps are still cool, and a jig and shiner are the choice presentation. Keep us in mind if you need lodging. Thanks!! http://www.highbanks.com

I would have to agree with highbanks. Mid june is hot. Pretty simple fishing just bring lots of jigs and shiners. The nice part about winnie is you catch walleye, northern and perch from the same areas. Good luck

I head up to Winnie and stay at the Nationals on CFS every June...

From what I've found if it's a warm start to summer... June 14th is too late to be up there Mayfly hatch wise.... However if you start rigging with small leeches on Mud flats, the odds improve greatly. (Slopped in a bunch of Jumbos amongst prime time eyes last June this way.)

The only problem I run into with June up there, is that the Eyes are starting to fall into their deep water transition... So you have to be ready to poke around a lot.

Biggest issue is what the wind can do to that lake.

It's no fun to be 6 miles from Camp and a wind storm blows 4 footers into your face.

So I always make a point to stay on Cut Foot Sioux... Where there's always someplace to fish even in horrendous winds.