Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rippinlip

Possible Move Shallow

49 posts in this topic

I know last year it was about a week after the Game fish closure that the shallow bite was "on". I am not thinking this will be the way this year with this being a little more of a true Minnesota winter.

I have been searching shallow and not much yet, the deep bite has been real consistent.

What are your thoughts on the shallow run.

I tried moving shallow, nothing. Then I went to try crappies deeper, caught walleyes. Then I moved around for walleyes, caught crappies. Now I am just going to move around today and see. Next I thing I can see getting are snot rockets. \:D

I went shallow and found some perch - some nice sized. Went back the next day and they were there - but small. Even these shallow perch are finicky and will only bite on waxies - will not touch a minnow. It is slow out there. You can tell - not a lot of people posting right now. We need some warm weather!

Just sit still...

Mid-March equals "shallow".

Sitting still is for lazy people, besides its NOT mid- march yet. Years past I have caught some of my biggest eyes this time of year, not many at a time just big. You are just dreaming about march. I will remind you to sit still in mid march T.O. whistle.gifblush.gifgrin.gif

Where should I go to fish for walleyes and perch around Mankato?

jrcp@charter.net

Just think; you'll be stuck in a truck with me too.

Thats not worring me, its the hole hopping I was thinking that you can't sit still.

I've tried shallow (under 10ft) the last few times out and I'm barely even marking any fish let alone catching em. I'm going deep until we see a real warming trend and some melting snow/ice.

I tried shallow this weekend, the fishes werent there. I went deep, and I found them. They were very aggressive, I would jig them off the bottom, lift my lure up about 2ft off bottom and they would just attack it! Although I spotted some suspended fish (most likely crappies) they had no interest in taking my lure. The crappies I did catch came off of the bottom, along with walleye, and perch. I dont like to fish deep very often, but I couldnt locate any takers shallow. I ended up taking home a good meal of fish that couldnt make it back down the hole. I was do for a good meal anyhow.

I will try a couple of my goto lakes this week, but I have noticed lately that lakes that arent 25'+ the fish havent been biting. Have any of you had any luck in shallow lakes the last couple weeks?

I've been getting all my fish in 10 - 15 feet, sunnies and crappies.

a friend and i did awsome friday night in 7 foot of water couldn't keep the crappies off th line everything was 11-12 in. i 19 in eye and a 26

Are these lakes you guys are catching them in, shallow lakes, less then 25' deep, or are they deeper lakes with deep holes?

My running shoes are packed.

Hey TO not trying to highjack the post but if this is the MI trip your heading for I figured I'd tell ya to leave the clock at home, that lake is divided by the timeline, went snowmobiling out there and no one ever cared about the time, one bar gets to open earlier and the other gets to stay open later, kinda crazy. An hour difference all within five mins. By the way the mounts on the walls out there, geesh, your gonna have a blast

Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
Are these lakes you guys are catching them in, shallow lakes, less then 25' deep, or are they deeper lakes with deep holes?

the lake i fished was only 14 max so i guess 7 ft really isn't that shallow for that lake

I'm guessing we won't care about time either.

The only bar T.O. should be thinking about are the ones that have fish on them. After he cuts that many holes, he will be to tired to think straight. \:\)

I've been working out.

Gotta love those 12oz. aluminum dumbels. grin.gif

Rippinlip, I'm in the E. Lansing area of Mich. right now, visiting my Brother & We're making a long weekend of fishing. I've been chatting with some of the Mich. anglers around here, & they have been finding them moving in shallower, on a lot of their lakes also. I'll be finding out more about how true it is in the next 4 days. Then try to post here, & try & call ya with the report.

Go Fish!

;\)

Although it may not be too unusual, I did find some nice 'gills in 7' of water....that would be 5' from the bottom of ice to bottom of lake.

Hey JB,

Sorry I have not been in touch yet, I will, I have your number.

Good luck on your vacation.

My move shallow did not prove to be much a fish catching day, think the spot I found could have paid off tonight though.

Did see alot of fish movement with the camera, but no takers, except for 1 little Perch.

I do have a feeling that the the late ice rush could be just around the corner.

Hey eyepatrol congrats on the shallow gills, I know I will get some active ones to bite here soon.

Duane, Duane, Duane...

Hit the water for a few hours this afternoon. I found myself wondering what happened to the nice weather from this morning. When I got on the lake at about 1:30, the fish seemed active. Found my first fish about 8 feet down in 16 feet of water. Broke my line on the first hook set. Caught a few and missed a few, then it was dead. I was finding fish 4 to 6 feet under the ice, but the wind was so strong I could not detect the subtle bites. When I moved in with the portable, they would spook.

After a slow period, I moved to about 6 fow. Found some nice gills. They were not real agressive, but I found a red glow jig to be the ticket. The size was a mix of sizes, I caught gills from 6 inches to 9.5 inches. It would have been more fun if I was not dressed for 40 degree weather. I had gotten so cold (I slipped on the ice and got a bit wet) that I could not stop my hand from shaking. The fish wanted a steady bait and my cold body was not cooperating, so I called it a day right as the best bite was starting in. Oh well, I now have a pretty good idea where to look next time.