• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

coyotes in the wind?

mnhunter79

hey everyone!

Went a little west today (2-16-08) by the tracy, mn area in serch of yotes. Talked with a couple people that have seen coyotes on a regular basis in areas. we tried calling (all types) and pushing smaller draws/valleys with trees, cattails, crp grass,and creek bottoms. There was a south wind at about 25 to 30 mph. (Wind was always in our face while hunting). seen tons of tracks, and [PoorWordUsage] at every spot we hunted (all private). Do yotes hide in the deepest, thickest cover they can find and not move all day when the wind is bad? Does anyone have any advise on this? Or answers?

answers? can't help you there, but I would think the coyotes would like to get out of the wind, like everything else. They could have been denned up, or not on the property at that time. I am heading out tomorrow (monday) hoping the sudden cold snap tomorrow morning brings out the hunger instinct

if your going to push cover like a deer drive, put your posters down wind and your drivers walk with the wind. the yotes or fox will try to sneak out at a little slower pace than if you get right on top of them and bust em out at a dead run.

and with the warmer temps they could very likely just been laying out on the fence lines or rockpiles too...good luck getting on them they will frustrate you more than any other species i.m.o.

frustration? ya i know all about that this year. it was only me and a buddy makin a push. we did it the same as we did phesant hunting except when we were phesant hunting the coyotes came runnin out, and now that we are hunting for them they won't show themselves. gonna try it out there again when it's not windy, and do more callin'.