Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
Cooter

Symptoms of head gask failure

Cooter

My '96 Lumina has had issues with temp fluctuations, had a bud who is a good mech look at her and says I have freeze in the oil and oil in the freeze....intake gasket.

So I'm worried about head probs but guess I'm gonna dump the $450 for the intake and hope for the best. She's got 166K on her and is starting to rust - she's been so good but I hate to put a couple hundy in her and then have the head gasket or some other major bull break me.

So basically, anything to look or watch out for more upcoming probs than the head gask? - ways to separate head from intake problems with those 3.1 GM knockers....just like the 3.8s and all the rest? BTW - I can hear my old girl knock on a cold morning from inside the hut.

Jeremy airjer W

If the oil is milky it its too late. Especially since you already metioned that it is knocking. These motors are especially sensitive to coolant in the oil. lower end bearing failure is common with coolant in the oil. Typically the 3.1's do not have head gasket issues but the oil in the coolant is a little troubling. The 3.4 liter is more prone to head gasket failure particularily in the minivans for some reason.

IMO, it is not worth investing in the intake gasket since you can already hear the signs of the motor failing. If it is in decent condition and you think it is worth it it may not be a bad idea to replace the motor with a good used one. Many salvage yards offer good warranties on there motors. Some replace all of the known gaskets that fail before you buy them. We have installed many of these over the years with no problems.

Macgyver55

I wouldn't write it off just yet. Many of the 3.1 motors have piston slap noise when cold, it may be that. It depends on if this is a new knock or one that he had all along. Other than the intake problem these are quite incredible motors. I personally had one recently that had 227,000 miles and still ran great, used no oil, but knocked when first started. Always did! I have seen others with over 300,000 and still going. Its a bit hard to say without seeing it, but if the coolant hasn't been in too long, and the rest of the vehicle is ok, I guess I'd be probably inclined to go for it.

Gadgetman

Hey Macgyver, you bring up something I have been wondering about for a couple of months now. My 2000 GMC Yukon has started with the "piston slap" this winter. Sounds like a diesel for a couple of minutes when it is first started in the morning and then is fine. when I asked Mr. Goodwrench about it I was told it was piston slap and was "normal" I have 113,000 on the truck and dont plan on getting a new one any time soon. Are they blowing smoke up my skirt or is this an acceptable diagnosis of my problem. Doesnt use any oil and had the head gasket replaced at about 90,000.

Macgyver55

I'd prefer to describe it as "common" moreso than normal. My own Tahoe is doing it now with 148,000. I don't like the sound of it myself. But, vehicles that have it dont suffer any ill effects from it that I know of, other than the noise. Several of our work trucks have done it for years without a problem.

Did you actually have a head gasket replaced, or do you mean the intake gasket? I've never yet had to replace a head gasket on a Vortec 5.3 or a 5.7

Gadgetman

Just went and pulled the original work order and it was a head gasket. Fortunately I discovered it before it could cause any other damage. I have done a little web surfing and see that a class action suit was filed against GM for piston slap but I am not able to determine the out come of this case.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• Rick
      Spring turkey hunters hoping to bag a tom during the first two weeks of the season have until Friday, Jan. 26, to apply for a lottery permit. The season runs from April 18 to May 31 and is divided into six hunt periods, A through F (see table below). Hunt A and B licenses for firearms hunters age 18 and older are limited in availability and assigned via lottery drawing. Turkey lottery applications cost $5 and can be purchased online at mndnr.gov/licenses, by phone at 888-665-4236, or in person from a license agent. Successful applicants will receive a postcard in the mail by mid-February and can purchase their hunting license starting March 1. Firearms licenses for hunts C, D, E and F are not lottery-limited and will be available for purchase over-the-counter beginning March 1. All licensed turkey hunters can participate in Hunt F if they have an unused tag from one of the earlier hunt periods. Archery and youth hunters (under 18) are exempt from the lottery and may purchase a spring turkey license valid during all hunt periods, including hunts A and B. Surplus lottery licenses from hunts A and B, if available, will be sold over-the-counter starting in mid-March. Visit mndnr.gov/hunting/turkey for more information about turkey hunting in Minnesota. 2018 Spring Turkey Hunt Periods
      Hunt A: April 18 – 24
      Hunt B: April 25 – May 1
      Hunt C: May 2 – 8
      Hunt D: May 9 – 15
      Hunt E: May 16-22
      Hunt F: May 23-31 Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Youth and adults can learn to hunt turkeys this April with experienced volunteers who will cover safe hunting techniques, how to call-in turkeys, hunting tactics and field dressing a bird. “We teach the skills and techniques that allow new turkey hunters to become lifelong hunters,” said Mike Kurre, learn-to-hunt program coordinator with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. “This has been a successful program and as a bonus, we love hearing how former participants go full circle to teach others how to hunt.” Participants can apply through Monday, Feb. 12. The hunts are Saturday, April 21, and Sunday, April 22, and provide opportunities to access locations that may otherwise be closed to hunting. “We get volunteers from the National Wild Turkey Federation and this is the 16th year we’ve cooperated for these hunts,” Kurre said. “Over the years we’ve introduced more than 5,000 people to these hunting experiences. We also work with the Minnesota National Guard to get military adults and their families into turkey hunting.” Details about how to apply and costs to participate are available at mndnr.gov/turkeyhunt. A pre-hunt orientation is required and all participants will need to have a valid firearms safety certificate or its equivalent. Youth must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. Overall participation in the hunts is restricted by the number of volunteers and private lands that are available. Anyone interested in providing turkey hunting land for the mentored youth hunts should contact the Keith Carlson, Save the Habitat Save the Hunt coordinator for the National Wild Turkey Federation in Minnesota at kcanoka@comcast.net.   Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Gov. Mark Dayton has proclaimed Jan. 20-28 as Snowmobile Safety Awareness Week in Minnesota. This an opportunity for the Department of Natural Resources, volunteer safety instructors, the Minnesota United Snowmobilers Association (MNUSA) and its 250 member snowmobile clubs to join together to recognize the importance of safe, responsible snowmobiling. “It’s a fun and exciting activity, but snowmobilers should always remember to make safety a top priority,” said Conservation Officer Bruce Lawrence, DNR recreational vehicle coordinator. “They should also always use common sense and keep a clear head when riding.” Here are some other key safety points: Snowmobiling and alcohol don’t mix – don’t drink and ride. Smart riders are safe riders – take a snowmobile safety training course. Always wear a helmet and adequate clothing. When night riding slow down – expect the unexpected. Know before the ride  – always check local trail and ice conditions. Cross with care. Know risks and be prepared – make every trip a round trip. One is the loneliest number – never ride alone. Ride safe, stay on the trail – respect private property. To legally ride a snowmobile in Minnesota, residents born after Dec. 31, 1976 need a valid snowmobile safety certificate. Options for both classroom and online classes can be found at http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/vehicle/snowmobile/index.html People can find Minnesota snowmobiling events and activities on the MNUSA webpage: https://mnsnowmobiler.org/get-involved/mnusa/events. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • eyeguy 54
      sounds like a hoot. hope to get there. 
    • Roscoe010
      Hi Wanderer, I am going up this weekend too.  Glad the weather will be warm! I will try a different pit this time, but had good luck last year.  I hope the fish will be active and hungry.
    • IceHawk
      Thanks Rick! Jeff hope to make it always a good time and laughs when you get a group of great people together. I usally do more jaw jacking  then fishing at these things but for me its just as much fun 
    • Rick
      I will donate a few goodies. I will send it to @Tom Sawyer if he messages me his address.
    • IceHawk
      Lol! Smurfy  Its not as easy to identify areas like the old days the ice towns in Mertens bay and in front of Steils old house on cedar island aren't there like years of past but she's still the same chain that you grew up on. And IMO better than when we wee younger. 
    • Wanderer
      @Roscoe010 I wanted to head that way yesterday but my fishing partner didn’t have that kind of time.  If I get there this weekend, I’ll let you know. Or hopefully someone else knows and will reply.
    • smurfy
      i'm considering going out sat to chase walleyes, cats or crappies................OK whatever will bite. whats frustrating is i live 5 mile from the chain, grew up in richmond and all these maps have me confused??????????
  • Share & Have Fun