Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sy

Bowstring Conditions

6 posts in this topic

I am heading up this weekend with a friend and his boys and were hoping to spend a day on Bowstring. How are both the accesses on the North side? I know the one on 35 can get a bad heave in front some years so I was wondering what shape it is in. Also, would we be able to get around in the snow and drifts on the lake on 4 wheelers? In our trucks?

Thanks for any info.

I heard from a reliable source there is a huge ice heave in front of the NE access off of Co. Rd. 35. As long as you avoid

the drift's you should be OK to get around w/ a truck or wheeler out there.

Brian

Thanks Brian. That is good information and I appreciate the reply. I know there seems to always be a heave right in front of that access but it is usually passable even if it is very rough. Maybe I will give the other access a try if the other one it too rough.

I was up on Bowstring this past weekend. We accessed the lake with trucks out of the NE access. There were some larger drifts within a few hundred yards of the access, but once you got out onto the lake it was pretty good.

The fishing was slow. We set up in 22-28ft and fished everything from waxies, to minnow heads, to whole minnows. We caugth a couple perch, a few snakes, and two crappies. The crappies were both nice a 12 and a 13 incher. We saw lots of fish on the vexilars, but few takers.

Any one have any recent reports on Bowstring? How about the access on 35? We used it about a month ago but it was getting a little sketchy by the end of the weekend, I was wondering if it was still usable. Also, is there much snow left on the lakes up there? Heading up for a week after work today so I am getting pretty pumped!

Was up there last thurs. til sunday. There was a decent amount of snow to try and cut through enough to make us not want to run and gun all over the lake because of bouncing all over the place. The fishing was the worst its ever been for us in the last 4 years. Could have been timing or the cold front that had just moved in. Talked to a few guys out there and it was slow gor them also. We ended up on Big Cutfoot, decent action there but no crappies over 9". We were in 30-34 feet.