Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lakerunner

Trout Tatics through the ice

4 posts in this topic

Folks:

Down below is a post that I put out on the MI forum for shiner2367 pertaining to trout fishing techniques through the ice that we used quite a bit in MI.

Does anyone know if this technique is legal in MN? I've been trying to figure it out in the regs. book but I'm still unclear.

"A couple of other spots that I always hit were off of 612 between 131 and Grayling. Try Starvation Lk, Twin lk, and Manistee lake. I always like Starvation as it is a smaller lake with crystal clear water. We used a modified "sight fishing" technique. We would pop lots of consecutive holes in the ice in the 10-15 fow range, drop a handful of spawn down all of the holes then go back to the truck for coffee. Check the holes after 15-20 minutes. If the spawn was gone from a hole, put a boiled spawn egg or two on a small hook or silver teardrop and hold on!! Do you know if this is legal in MN?

Now this works good if you have lots of spawn--either stealhead, brown, or salmon but can get costly if you have to buy it. I lived on the Little Manistee, fished all the time, and always had plenty of spawn. Plus this was a great way to get rid of some of the older stuff in the freezer."

In minnesota I would imagine that would be considered chumming and would be illegal...I've chummed for trout in states where it is legal and it can be extremely effective though.

I've never found chumming per se illegal in the regs in Minnesota. Certainly possible that I missed it and that chumming is in fact illegal.

What I read in the regs says that it's illegal to deposit fish entrails or parts of fish into the water. That would make it illegal to chum with pieces of minnow, smelt, cisco or any other fish, but would not be illegal if, say, you were chumming with waxworms or ground nightcrawlers. Are fish eggs parts of fish? I'd say a CO could interpret that as a yes or a no, depending on the CO and the day.

Has anyone else been able to find anything in the regs against the act of chumming itself?

Here are the pertinent parts of the regs, the only ones I found that could apply to chumming:

• Depositing fish entrails or fish parts into public waters or onto lake or stream shores is prohibited.

• Littering of any materials and depositing rubbish, poisonous substances, or chemicals harmful to aquatic life into public waters, onto ice, or lake or stream shores is illegal. Fish line and various packaging materials can be harmful to wildlife.

Nope--we only used loose spawn--no skein.