Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishn4kids

? for url fishermen

6 posts in this topic

I have a trip planned for the end of Feb. ? is, Is it worth to bring the S.O.S or will i just be wasting the effort and time of setting them out. I've heard mixed feelings on them for crappie fishing. Any suggestions would help greatly. Thanks

Duane

Dude, yes no maybe.

Anyone who has read one of my posts knows I use Reel Weeds and I use them often.

I've said before that fish use these weeds to hide in. Pike are fish, too. So, the very structure that perch, walleye, and crappie may use to hide in, pike may use as an ambush point. This isn't a bad thing. I like catching HUGE snot rockets and URL has it's share.

My advice would be, if you do use them, set them farther from your house than you normally would. Just in case Mr. big comes through, you will have a tangled up mess.

Yes for Sure Please Bring Me! \:D

HAHA that's a good one, I'll be up there this weekend to try my luck also. I will post when I get back.

Ha SOS that was great (yes take me along)...

We messed with the weeds for several years and camera's what we have witnessed on this lake as well as other even more clear lakes is that if you put down a lot of weeds (say 10) the Pike will set up in them and the general panfishing tapers way off. but if you disperse two or three with 5 or more feet between them they act more like a reference point. But then do they hold the panfish longer or gather more panfish? Really to subjective to call. I have fished 3 guys to a four person ouse and put two down in holes close to the bunks because these are the most likely to get stuff dropped in them by accident. Whoops. Then we kind of cover these holes. I haven't conclusivley determined wether is is real benifical or not. One would need a control group right next to the test group to get decent data on it. Again just my .02 cents. Mostly opinion I'm sure.

I've used the on URL with indifferent results. But I will admit they sure didn't seem to slow fishing down. I should say I was using them during my best trip this year on URL.