Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
daveyred

Panfish rule

6 posts in this topic

This may seem like a stupid question but because I'm not org. from the state I need some clearification that I am not getting from the rule book or finding on the DNR site. I am a catch and release fisherman most of the time but my son asked when looking at the rules the following question.

The rules say that you can keep 10 Crappie. Under that it says you can keep 20 sunfish. Under the sunfish it says (either or combined)under that (bluegill, pumpkinseed....).

Question:does this mean that

1. you can keep 10 crappie and 20 sunfish for a total of 30 fish?

2. if you keep 10 crappie you can only keep 10 sunfish for a total of 20 fish?

In Michigan we could each keep 25 crappie and 25 sunfish and 50 perch but we were in the Army for 12 yrs so KS, Germany, GA and VA all blend together.

Thanks for the help, be safe and good luck.

You can keep 10 crappies and 20 sunfish of which they can be a combination of pumpkin seed, blugill etc.. Meaning you can have a total of 30 fish.

you should be able to keep 10 crappies and 20 gills.for sunfish its either 20 of gill or 20 of sunnys.or you can combine the sunfish and gill to a total of 20.

Thats what I thought but what made this unclear to me is the fact that for most species the regulation goes from dark blue to light blue than back. For these to species it is the same light blue. Makes it look like the either or is between the crappie and the sunfish.

You can keep 10 crappies and 20 total in combination of bluegills, sunnies, pumpkinseeds.

I remember, not too long ago, we were able to keep 15 crappies. Like 3 years ago.

Practice C&R on larger panfish,they are the future genetics of the lake,and should be treated as a resource like any other gamefish.