Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZOOM

Vergas Area

11 posts in this topic

Anyone fishing Vergas area lakes? Long, Loon? I've heard these lakes can produce some walleye, northern, crappies and even white fish or Tulibie??? The reason I say white fish is because I'm to dumb to spell the latter. grin.gif

The fish you are referring to goes by the names cisco, lake herring, or tullibee. Lake whitefish is a different species.

I haven't fished any of the Vergas lakes yet this season. I may hit Rose later in the season for some tullibees and crappies.

Ya know, everyday I drive by Long Lake on my way to wadena and see all the houses out there and I think to myself, "self, we should stop by there one day." I have yet to though

Yeah thanks, I wasn't sure of the fish name but I know there darn good smoked. I forgot about Rose,I've fished that lake a little and had some pretty good results in the past. I haven't made it out there this year though.

We have a cabin on long and i fish it often i guess, can be good, can be bad like many lakes.

Long Lake is one of the best lakes for Tullibees.

My bro-in-law has been there a couple of times this year -- it is getting better as Feb. passes.

Long lake used to be excellent for walleyes back when we first started fishing there. We used to go out and catch 20-30 walleyes a night, im now to about 10-15 per year. They are out there, but they are smarter than me.

Never caught an 'eye on that lake. Not even a 10-incher ;))

I've been meaning to try long, anyone got an idea of where to start (general area) out there. After all, it is a Long lake \:\/ I like hitting Rose late ice, and it does have nice slabs in it.

Theres a place where in the summer they suspend over a 30 foot area that i've been meaning to try, to try to explain it would probably be impossible, i should try it one of these weekends if i actually find the time. Send me an email

shaex001@umn.edu

We'll do it sometime, I'll bring the sled out and we can explore. I've been wanting to ice fish Long but have never made it out.