Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kingspade651

South Center

22 posts in this topic

Hows the fishing off the right side of sunset point there? in about 6-8fow. Havent fished it in about a month but will very soon, just seein if the pannie bite is still on there.

And Whispering Bay? Any walleyes coming out of there?

as far as I know the walleye bite has been slow...

You should be able to find some crappies though, size however was quite small last time I was out there.

Was out on friday night from about 6 to 11. Me and a buddy tried a spot where we usually do pretty well. Alot of lookers only managed 1 crappie.

2 other friends of our tried out by pancake island and had the same problem. Then they moved out to the whole by hazleton they caught a couple but they were all pretty small.

Could have been the weather.. not much for reports on any of the area lakes this weekend..

I was out saturday morning(before the sun came up) and it was awesome, fish were really hitting.. then the front hit.. and Nada, could still see them down there, but could not pry their mouths open for nuthin!!!

I was out from 5pm till 9pm on saturday and managed just 3 9" crappies in about 22fow. Marked quite a few,Had some decent bites just real finiky. Man was the wind blowin, happy i brought the insulated portable out.

lets face it man, being mid febuary you need to head to deeper water to catch the nicer crappies. This also means heading away from all the houses and find deeper waters. a lot of houses are still fishing in 10 ft or less, all they are catching is pannies and smaller crappies.

4-5 fow r good as well...sight fishin r way to go n mayb a or 2 crappies will chase jigs into the hole!

I dont know, im just listeing to people complain about the crappie size. Whens the last time you caught a good size crappie (10' or better in 4fow? In my experience you usualy have to find the deeper water and fish with a vex.

Last year we dragged a mimic minnow at as slow a speed as my trolling motor would go and we must have caught over 100 crappies and a bunch of them were around 10 inches and we were in only about 6 ft of water. I dont keep crappies but the guy I was fishing with loves them. He was suprised as well at how shallow we were. This was probably around July. That was South center. I rarely ever fish water deeper then 8 ft and I can usually catch crappies in that depth.

fish location in july is COMPLETELY different then in feb.? Water depth changes as often as early season vs. late. I.E rush lake you catch fish in july in less than 12 fow, first ice in about 8-10 fow and late ice anywhere from 20-35 fow.

good ones can be caught in many different depths depending on many different factors (water clarity, weather, time of day, time of year, etc.)...can't pigeon hole a crappie bite...just got to get out and fish and stay versatile...and see what happens.

as for why crappies r in shallow water much less than 5-10 fow.. is forage..covers.. weeds... from my experience fishin crappies.. shallow tend to have better avg size than deeper basin crappies..

I guess i didnt look at it that way. What about this time of year, what depths do you guys feel will produce the most slab siZed crapps

i dont know abt SLAB sizes on s.c lake but i wld say avg sizes wld be 7-10 inches with rare 11" if u want slab sizes find a small lake an hour away north from twin cities or hit flake and sortin through those 5-7" mayb get into a nice 13-15" slab from flake.

agreed

dck is that blue tick hound on ur avatar?? goood lookin dog..

I fished today in Pine city in water that was as stained as I have ever seen and was catching crappies in 20 ft with a jigging rapalla off the bottom. I caught probably 7 near sunset point today that were between 9 and 10 inches using the same lure with euros on the belly and a bunch of sunfish all in water less then 6 ft. I have bought crappie minnows in the past with minimal success while I find a forage minnow or a jig rap with euros or wax worms more effective. My guess is that south center has more weeds and they become more a factor then depth to crappies.

Was on south center today for about 3 hrs. around noon. Moved from 15 fow, with just perch to show, to 6 fow, and caught some decent crappies and bluegills. Red eurolarvea, on red genz bug's. Liked slight jigging over my deadstick. Was a lot of fun.

glad shallow water worked for u today// was out on lake 1.5 hours away from metro and my auger arent workin good.. its kinda suck that i had to come bak to metro n drop off at repair place n hoping nothing r serious... so no fishin at all...

I failed to mention, LOTS of very green weeds!!

Yeah thats a bluetick his names willie quite the hound for 1.5 years old. I had some trouble with my auger this weekend too, adjusted the carb a bit and got it going again but it was a pain to do on the ice in the dark. Has anybody had any success out there using those chubbdy darters? or buckshot jigs?