• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Report 2/10

uwleagle

Good day to be out if you don't like crowds. Fished from walleyes this morning in 15 fow from 6am to 8:30. Caught one small one. Moved out to 38 fow and ended up catchin a variety. 5 nice crappies between 10 and 12 inches, 2 small white bass, 2 mooneye, 1 small walleye, my buddy caught probably a 5 pound catfish(was the only fish he caught all day), and I caught the first sturgeon I've ever caught in my life. The catfish and the sturgeon both put of quite a fight since we were both using ultra light rods with only 2 pound tests. Fished till 1:30 but didn't catch a single fish after about 11:30. All fish were caught on a small jiggin rap.

Heres a pic of the sturgeon.(its kinda dark, took it with the camera on my phone)

Sturgeon.jpg

Looks like I was a couple hundred yards north of ya. My best day yet this winter on the croix. Lots of small white and black crappies with several in the 10+ range. Seemed like they would bite once or twice on a lure and then I would have to switch to something else. Everything from white shrimpos with pink tails, white diamond jigs with a waxie, white and red JB charms tipped with glow yellow tails, to misc. lures I have never used let alone remember what they where called.

stcrouixcrappy2.jpg

I was also on the Croix. I was a bit closer to the shanty town area. I fished a bit closer to the shore. I was sitting at a flat area before it did a drop to 40+ ft. I caught a lot of smaller crappies, but did get a 11" and 13" for the fryer. I used every jig in my tackle like you Air but in the end I came back to the demon with minnow jigging it. It was sure cold but the fish were still biting. I also love the cold cuz it weeds out the real and non-real fishermen. Good luck yalls.

I have one green demon that works well on minnetonka, didn't even think about using that. It will get tied on next weekend!! Might have to expand the inventory on those as well.

All this talk about mud puppies, I almost forgot that my mud puppy virginity was also broken on the same day. Boy, I sure was happy when I hooked it, all I thought was, "Yes, I have caught my biggest crappie ever." Up comes a big old mud puppy that scare the [PoorWordUsage] out of me. My dog goes crazy and I snip the line with my nail clippers. Man, I forgot how ugly mud puppies were. yuck crazy.gif

honda, you always seem to be catching fish. Im tagging along with you next time. Ive always wanted to fish the croix, but nobody ever wants to go with me. My brother says its not safe. For big crappies though, its worth it.

Haha i broke that a couple years ago, caught plenty off em off the bottom fishin for eyes and deep craps. And yes they are nasty and slimy and the wierdest thing is they have legs haha

Hey UWLeagle- was that you today in the white Tahoe in front of Bayport Beach? How did you do? Today was pretty much unproductive for me.

I tried for some crappie from 2:30-4, got blanked. Had a few sniffers, but nothing willing to bite.

Moved shallow at 4pm, fished in 21' on a steep break until 6pm. I found a pretty good bite, picked up 5 decent sauger and a small walleye. I got them all on a glow perch jigging shad. Most hit while dropping the shad right near the bottom, one hit a few feet up off the bottom. I got them all on full minnows, switched to a head for a while because I missed a couple of short bites, but didn't get any action on it. Once I switched back, I was getting action again. Wound up taking one sauger home that inhaled the jigging shad, was bleeding pretty bad.

UWLeagle - I talked with a couple of other folks that were hyping the 7-8am crappie bite today too, said it was nutz... Claimed they got them north of the Hiline closer to the wisco side. I was fishing for eyes right at that spot where you setup but had to leave before long cause your uncle called..

LB

Trollingguy that was not me. I was out there but I was further north on the Wisconsin side.Was very unproductive for me as well. I got out pretty early this morning. Fished for walleyes in 16 fow from 5:30 am to 8;30 and never even had a bite. Moved a little deeper and tried four different spots. Caught one small walleye, one small white bass and nice catfish. Not one crappie. I was not even marking fish. Oh well ya cant get em every time. Will be out again to try it Friday morning.

blueroof I guess I'll have to go pick up a glow perch jiggin shad. If you can catch fish on them I cant imagine how many i will catch, haha.