Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Stark

Muckwa Lake (st. louis)

5 posts in this topic

anyone fish this little lake?

mike

I'm assuming you mean the Muckwa behind Bear Island. Yes I have. It's a small, round, shallow lake surrounded on three sides by bog. It has quite a population of pike, but I've never caught anything above about 3# in there. I have not found a deep spot in the lake, but others might have found more than the 8-12 feet that I've located.

yeah thats the one im talking about. on the map it shows 8.5 being the deepest part of the lake. is it too shallow to fish during winter?

Not necessarily. If there are pike in there, they'll be happy to give anything you have to offer them their attention. It's been my experience that these types of lakes have very little in the way of baitfish - the northerns scarf 'em up quickly. I had a friend who did a study on a similar lake and his stomach census should the bulk of food to be aquatic insects. Scale studies also showed slow growth - probably due to poor nutrition. Would seem that when we fished these lakes, we would always have lots of action, but fish averaged nothing more than hammer handles. Also, small shallow lakes like this tend to "freeze out" on occasion, taking the fish population almost to zero. I don't know if this is the situation with Muckwa. Some other locals may be more familiar with that aspect of this lake.

i have fished it a few times. no luck in the winter. it must freeze out. never heard any thing about northerns in there. it is hard to access unless u have a snowmobile.