• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fishing the Hawaiian Islands?

JERKlips

Heading to Hawaii mid march for a week and looking to do some fishing. Just wondering if anybody on here has any experience or information to share on fishing in the salt water around that area guildes/charters ect... Looking to hook into something big! Thanks!

I was there January of '06, we tried for marlin one day and that was alot of fun. We went out of Maui, don't remember the charters name. we had a few striped marlin on but couldn't get one landed, but I managed to get a 200 lb. blue marlin which was unbelievably fun. Other than that I caught a porcupine fish and some other goofy stuff just fishing from shore with some squid from the grocery store under a big bobber outside our hotel. Make sure you go snorkeling with the sea turtles when your there!

Thanks for the info Waxworm! Marlin fishing is what im leaning towards and 200lb fish is enough to get my attention! Whats the going rate for Marlin fishing out there and did you have to buy any licences and did you get to keep it ?

Depending on the size of the boat I think you'll find it to be around $500 for a half day to $800 or $900 for a full day. I imagine the charter will take care of your license. And nope, the catch goes to the crew. They sell the meat and it's part of their income, at least where I was.

WW is right for the most part; Hawaian boats do subsidize thier charter rates with the sale of thier catch. Do some research; some charters will let you keep some fish to cook at your hotel, there are a few that practice C&R of marlin, but generally charge more. Unless you have a need (and way to transport) a couple hundred lbs. of fish, I highly suggest the thrill of watching a marlin swim back into the blue after giving you the battle of your life. And if you want a mount, a replica is the smarter way to go. check out the Sea Dancer, and KIX charters, good reps and they will practice C&R. Good luck!