Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ken1

Northern Fishing

12 posts in this topic

Anyone willing to assist with information on locating northerns this time of year? Any suggested depth that might be best to be fishing?

Big Carnelian in Stillwater is a good pike lake with a chance at some big fish. I was out last weekend and just fished tip ups and had a 28 incher and 3 hammer handles and 4 flags that ended with nothing, we were only out for 2 hours but I always get a couple of flags there. Target the south end of the lake where it drops off from 12 to about 22 feet, we had them scattered but most of the action was set towards the bottom in 17 feet good luck! Also welcome to the FM forum!

There is a slot of anything between 24-36 inches has to be let go sorry I forgot to mention that!

I caught and released this one a few days ago on the St Croix. Pretty much got lucky though. Was jiggin for walleyes with a light action rod and 4 pounds test. Put up a pretty good fight. My tape measure only goes to 25 but I figured it was about 36 inches. Been out there alot and havent seen any others caught but havent really seen anyone fishing for them. Maybe you could find them in the shallower water.

100_0452.jpg

Nice fish! They sure are fun to pull in on the light action gear.

Grey's Bay on Minnetonka has been producing some nice Northerns for us. About 10 FOW, jig a minnow (Bigger the better, serious about this one. Suckers have been doing well, fatheads not so much) right above the weeds. If the weeds are less then maybe 2 feet from your hole, I'd move. But if you can get it down 3-4 feet and be on top of weeds, that's been prime so far.

Of course you can also find the edge of a weedline and fish that, those have been producing great pike as well.

Hope it helps \:\)

Here's from last weekend. I normally don't keep pike because they're just too fun to catch on light tackle but I had Uncles over who wanted to bring some fish home. This was probably about 4-5 hours worth with 3 misses, a largemouth bass, and one snapped pole on a fish that [looked] bigger. Biggest one there was 5.2lbs

img00069rx1.th.jpg

I don't know your coming from but We fished normdale lake in bloomington. Most of the lake is only 4-6ft,but there is a couple of hole near the islands. thays where would catch some 4-8lb pike. 3ft under the ice.

No deeper than 10fow ;\) I am sight fishing gills right now in 6-8fow and I have been seeing a lot of northern crusing the shallow water.

I've been fishing a small metro lake recently. I've been catching northerns in 8-12 FOW. Unlike most of the other posts, I've had no luck on big baits. All of mine have come on crappie minnows or fatheads.

Hey JigginJim, how this is the ice on Normandale?

Hey JigginJim, how this is the ice on Normandale? Can you drive on it?

Several guys have been driving out there. Just stay away from the east shore. The lake does have some current moving thru.