Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnnyk396

Illegal to take minnows off the lake??

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I was fishing in Wisconsin last weekend and was told that you can get a ticket if you don't drain your minnow bucket on the ice before leaving. I didn't find this law on the Wisc dnr site, but had heard it from two different people. Anyone else here this?

It's true. The rules are to help stop the spread of a fish virus called VHS.

Boaters and anglers:

— May not leave the bank or shore of any water with any live fish or live fish eggs, including left over minnows. There are limited exceptions to the rule for wild bait harvest but all fish taken by permit must meet strict fish health inspection standards.

— Must drain all water from bilges, ballast, live wells, bait buckets and other containers when they leave the bank or shore of any water.

— May not use dead fish, fish eggs, or fish parts for bait unless use them on the same water where the bait was collected, or if the bait was preserved by a method other than freezing or refrigeration, or if they are fishing in Lake Michigan or Green Bay or any connected waters upstream to the first barrier impassible to fish.

— May not use or possess live fish or live fish eggs as bait if obtained outside Wisconsin unless they will be used on the Mississippi River “between the tracks” and if the bait was imported in compliance with Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection rules.

LB

Since they specify the Missisippi, I wonder how this will affect the other border water, the St Croix??? eek.gif