Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ron Burgundy

rattle spoons?

11 posts in this topic

Does anybody use the Norhtland rattle spoons? What do you have the most success with? Minnow heads or live minnows? What size?

The buckshot Spoon is a very good lure. For me a full minnow hurts the action of a jigging spoon of any type. When using a spoon I almost always use just the head. As for size of the lure.. match it to the type fish you are after. Some days a crappie minnow head is all thats needed.. others a fat head seems to work better.... Its also going to depend on the lake and what forage is available.

1/16 oz and a head for pannies then, and maybe the dropshot rattle spoon with a live minnow.

Yep, that should work! Post some picts when you start to put a whoopin on the fish!

There are quite a few rattle lures on the market now, and each has a different action.. I suggest that you give them a try as well.

Also dont overlook waxworms and eurolarve below that 1/16 oz rattle spoon as well.

I was just wondering if they were used much for pannies or if they were more of a walleye bait. Do you get sunnies on these or mainly crappies and perch?

I would say that they are more geared towards walleye.. and maybe crappies. But I have caught gills on them too.. I actually use a JB Rattle Varmit(very similar to the buckshot spoon) as a decoy bait... I dont tip it with any bait.. but when a hole is slow, I will jig this down there to attract more gills.. once I see fish on the flasher again, I reel in and drop my panfish lure.

Hope this helps!

I've done that before. Thanks for the responses, very helpful.

Glad I was able to help... Best of luck to you!

Originally Posted By: Deitz Dittrich
I would say that they are more geared towards walleye.. and maybe crappies. But I have caught gills on them too.. I actually use a JB Rattle Varmit(very similar to the buckshot spoon) as a decoy bait... I dont tip it with any bait.. but when a hole is slow, I will jig this down there to attract more gills.. once I see fish on the flasher again, I reel in and drop my panfish lure.

Hope this helps!

I also use the Rattlin varmit religously, often tipped with a waxworm. I've caught pike, perch, walleyes, sunfish, and a ton of crappies with them. I was out recently and the only thing the crappies wanted to hit was a jiggin spoon tipped with a waxie. My buddy always gives me heck for having the rattlin varmit tied on and fishing with it. But it always works, so I've haven't had to take it off all season. The funny thing is, he tied one on after a couple hours of him watching me catch all the fish, grin.gif

It worked great! The 1/16 oz perch pattern got me a few small perch and 8 or 9 crappies, then the fish moved on. Then the wind started shaking my brother and I in the fishtrap so we left.

good deal!