Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
northwoodsdreamr

? Burntside conditions ?

8 posts in this topic

Heading up to Burntside after work tomorow, fishing for lakers Friday and Saturday and was curious if access or the ice and snow conditions have changed much since bash weekend, thanks Todd

Snow conditions are good. There really isn't a whole lot out there. People are driving full size trucks out from the Van Vac Access. I had 16" of ice by Waters Island when I was out there two weekends ago.

Todd, I fished Monday on 18-20 inches of hard ice after driving off Van Vac in my small 4x4 SUV, but as Casey said people are driving full-size trucks.

There's only 4 to 6 inches of hard packed snow on the ice unless you drive near shore or between islands (where you hadn't oughta drive anyway).

Four-wheel drive is still good to have, though, because the weight of the vehicle punches through a lot of the hard snow down to the ice. It's not like driving through six inches of powder. There also are some rock-hard shallow pillow drifts in some spots that will force you to slow down to 10 mph or slower so your gear doesn't go airborne.

Good luck up here, dreamer.

If you see an old rusty slate blue Toyota 4Runner tooling around and a purple Otter alongside it, that'll be me. grin.gifgrin.gif

Thanks for the info caseymcq and stcatfish. Ill have a purple dodge truck and be fishing in and out of a blue fishtrap pro, stop by if you see me, cant miss the truck. Cant wait to get back up there, one more day.

Todd,

Fished Burntside this morning, about 17-18 inches of ice and not much snow but there may be some drifting in the more open part of the lake.

I will be up in two weeks if any one would like to hook up. I am just learning the lake myself.

hay jigman hear is there a better month for laker fishing is feb better than march on the burtside or does it matter . or is the the weather the factor im thinking i cant get away till the second week of march . Ill be calling ya stfcatfish or emailing yua with more info just woundering if it make a diffrence the month thanks. kieep on fishing

Jigman, I've found Feb and March to be about the same fishing wise, though March can offer some wonderfully sunny 40something days that makes it nice to hole hop outside.

The first three weeks of the season always have produced best for me, with things leveling off by now and staying OK, with a few spurts now and then, until season closes.

Shoot me an e-mail when you're ready, jigman.