Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crappiefisher26

German Lake

21 posts in this topic

Hello. Just wondering if anyone has been out on German or West Jefferson Lakes lately? Any Luck. Me and a few buddies are coming down this weekend to fish it, guess theres a tournament going on. Any info would be great, never fished these lakes before.

I have a buddy that has his house on German, he has been getting a fair amount of crappies every night from 6-10, with most being good sizes.

I haven't fished it for a week or two, but the word on the street is there are some crappies being caught, look deep and suspended. The crappie bite seems to be going on most lakes around here though, don't be afraid to play around in the shallows during the day for some gills, west jefferson had a decent snake bite going for awhile, but I do believe that is the site of the sportsman's club annual tourney. Lots of door prizes etc, good luck

I will be poking around on german this weeked. I will post my results. This time of year some of the biggest crappies in the lake can be caught in shallow water.

Thanks for the info. Wat are the crappies hitting on? Minnows or waxies or wat? Would like to also try and find some pike. ec30_06 when u goin to be out there? Maybe see ya out there.My buddy has a cabin right on the lake, so we are gnna head down tonight then fish tommorrow morning and try and get some gills. and then prlly try out the night bite for the crappies and walleyes. yes 'eyes, they are in there, just gotta know the spot.

I've been doing good on minnow heads and spoons early then switching it up to a full crappie minnow as the eve progresses, you might want to hit Big Jeff shallow for some daytime pannies, lots of sorting though,I'll be running around out there somewhere unless the cold scares me off, good luck let us know the scoop after

My friend has a cabin out there also. We usually put our fish houses out there as well. I did not make it out there last weekend, but he did well on sunnies, pike, and some crappies and bullheads.

BullHeads !!!!!

Sounds like a shallow water bite to me. \:\)

Must be catching you bait...

I always love to hear about a good bullhead bite.

Takes alot of skill to catch bullys in the winter.

It does?

Skill? Sounds like a fluke to me. Try taking your bait off the bottom, you might just catching something worthwhile.... cool.gif

What is the ice thickness been running on German.Are they useing the main landing to get on the lake?

Last time I was there (few weeks ago) the ice was around 20" or a little better. The landing was a little rough at the time with the ice heave there. If you have a truck, you should be just fine.

you can get cars on at the public landing as of last weekend.

I've been finding 20"+ out there as well, the landing is a little rough, but nothing out of the ordinary, there's a resort landing that alot of people use and that access is pretty rough going, large heave that has been chiseled down, but still rough, I'd go off the public, good luck

Is anything still going on out there? Thinking about hitting Saturday morning. Haven't fished it since Christmas, been fishing Bemidji area, LOTW, & Upper Red, so it has been a while for me fishing down here. Any info. would be great. Thanks!

Theres a good 20+ inches of ice out there. We ended up catching a few pannys but thats it. Was [PoorWordUsage] cold. And they ended up cancellin the tournament on West Jeff.

Any updates on the gils and crappies on German? Looking for a place to go and find decent sized pannies.

Its been slow. The lake doesn't seem to have as many nice fish as it use to.