Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kingspade651

Bush Lake

11 posts in this topic

Was thinkin about fishing this lake soon. Never fished it drove by this weekend and there was tons of people out there. Heard of nice crappies there. Fill me in

If it is the bush lake in Bloomington I live about 3 mins away and have only caught about 6 good sized crappies in about 10 years. But if you want some fast northern action hit up the west end in about 5 fow with suckers out by the boat launch. If there were tons of people they were catching small sunfish and bass.

Good luck &tight lines

The boat launch is at the South West end but either end is good for Northern or Muskie. The crappies were in the thick weeds with the sunnies, and then again in about 14' to 18', if you drill a bunch of holes and then move around you can usually get a few good size crappies out of each hole. I'v been fishing that lake for quite a few years and have taken some big crappies out of their. I had a Muskie on that just wouldn't stop until it took all of my 55 lb dacron line off of my tipup and snap! he was on his own, it just never stopped! Back in "98" I saw a guy catch a 52" muskie thru the ice-photo and relesed it- man was that cool! Their is an elderly guy I think his name is Larry that is alway's on the lake that has a red truck and a clear portable ice house he is alway's fishing Northerns. If you see him I would talk to him, he is a realy nice guy and would be more than happy to help.

Now are you guys getting crappies during the day or in the evening?

O am trying to find place to get a few decent crappies during the day.

Go streight out from the cement boat landing head left down the middle of the lake and twards the point on the left 12'to18' fow just befor you get to the point. Their is a weed line that starts to thin out and I found alot of fish their during the day--good luck!-- if you have a camera you will see what I mean. I have been getting them in real shallow too in the thick weeds.

Am I going to be in with a ton of people out there tomorrow? Has it been getting fished like never before? I am hoping the cold weather keeps people at home. Thats why I love the extreme cold. The fish bite decently and everyone stays home.

I don't think it has been getting that much pressure, alot of the people you see are dog walkers or cross country skiers.

anyone deiving out though the swimming beach area?

People are driving thru the swimming area and off of the boat axis only. Be careful of the springs on the North East side to the right of the beach, it has some signs their.

I normally fished from Isaac walton point.

We drove all around the lake today. No issues with the ice. Its very thick. Doing a great job of hiding the fish. The beach area is fine for driving.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Chill62
      Haven't heard any reports but I'd suggest spots like Ottertail River by Frazee or Wymer Graham lakes for panfish if you can legally park around them any more.  Otherwise you have some bridges like near Zorbaz on Little Pine or Long Bridge by DL, I haven't fished Zorbas but if you don't catch something at Long Bridge your doing something wrong it wont be big but it'll be action.  Otherwise look for public fishing piers, last night saw a bunch of people fishing the one by Long Lake in Vergas.  Can usually catch something off of them.
    • Chill62
      Fished Big Pine.  Caught perch lol  Not one walleye.  Fish flies are hatching and the wind kept us off of the lake a lot.  Finally yesterday we fished NW corner of the lake aka calmest spot we could find and we got a few pike.  Otherwise we picked up some decent perch 8-11" on the south side in about 6 feet.  Only saw one walleye being caught all weekend and it was a 21" while fishing for perch next to me.
    • Chill62
      While coming home from Big Pine this weekend I lost my tackle box lid which had my 3 Northern Jigs within it.  It is VERY noticeable since it has a huge 3 Northern Jigs logo sticker on the top of it.  I drove from Big Pine's public access to Vergas down through Dunvilla and when I got west of Dunvilla it was not there.  I hit some terrible cross wind on Hwy 10 coming up to the Vergas road but sadly I don't know where it went.  If anyone finds it there is a reward being offered.   Thanks  Cody!
    • mulefarm
      The key for catching those big eyes is to be a Delta member and wear your hat!
    • Chill62
      While coming home from Big Pine this weekend I lost my tackle box lid which had my 3 Northern Jigs within it.  It is VERY noticable since it has a huge 3 Northern Jigs logo sticker on the top of it.  I drove from Big Pine's public access to Vergas down through Dunvilla and when I got west of Dunvilla it was not there.  I hit some terrible cross wind on Hwy 10 coming up to the Vergas road but sadly I don't know where it went.  If anyone finds it there is a reward being offered.   Thanks  Cody!
    • Sunset Lodge
      Another fantastic week of fishing up in the Northwest Angle!

Two weeks into the Minnesota season an abundance of saugers are congregating around Little Oak, as well as other small islands near Crow Duck, making for an easy shore lunch spot while staying close to home. Jigging at 18-24 has produced the most fish but it isn’t too early to be pulling spinners.

On the Canadian side, walleyes are more dispersed but very plentiful on main lake points with current anywhere from 15-20 ft. of water, holes remain consistent.  Almost any method is producing fish, gold/yellow/orange jigs with a minnow seems to be the most popular.  The northern pike bite remains strong with many thirty plus fish being seen. 

We hope to see you soon!

Sunset Lodge Staff
      218-223-8211
      info@sunsetlodgeresort.com
    • Wanderer
      They look like they were fun.    15 boats on one spot, eh?  That's a ton!
    • Wheres_Walter
      We struggled on walleye on Frazer bay this saturday, so sunday morning I started throwing senkos.  Not quite consecutive casts like Wanderer, but i went all morning catching nothing, then caught these two cousins with 3 min of each other, smallie off the point, then the big mouth around the corner in a shallow bay.  18" smallie, 17" LMB. Good fun.    We did get about a dozen walleye on sunday night after the storms chased 15 boats away from the point we were fishing.  Mostly small, but a couple keepers.  Chartruese Jig and rainbows in about 10-12 FOW.  Couldn't buy a bite with a chub.  
    • monstermoose78
      I have good Jeremy how have you been doing. I need to get out fishing with you soon.
    • Walleye #1
      Stick in the Mud   I do think sometimes that those fish see so many jigs and shiners that something such as a crawler or leech is a great change up and will get bites.  Also with the bug hatches that are happening, those are two great baits.       Leech Lake   Leech Lake Walleyes once again found themselves spread out and in different areas and related to different pieces of Leech Lake structure.  Shiners and Leeches seemed to be the bait of choice for those Leech Lake Walleyes, but plastics are still catching some fish.  Be sure to stop in at Full Stringer Bait and Tackle, Swansons Bait and Tackle, Tutts Bait and Tackle, or Sportland Bait and Tackle for all your bait and tackle needs.     West End The LOA Fishing Guides found much of their success on the West End of Leech Lake.  Focusing in on the flats around West Goose in depths of 7-10ft of water, as well as the wind blown points such as Duck, Big Hardwoods, Ottertail, Pine, and Bowmans.  Sucker Bay also proved to have a good wind driven bite throughout the weekend.   A Jig and Minnow was the best presentation by far, but in most instances instead of jigging it, dragging or swimming it along the bottom seemed to work best, but when the front came in on Sunday the Leech Lake Walleyes were snapping and aggressively jigging was provoking the bite.  When things slowed down, slowing down with a lindy rig and leech put fish in the boat as well.  Green cabbage once again was a key to finding active walleyes and jumbo perch in 5-8ft of water.  Pitching an 1/8th oz KenKatch jig with a shiner caught Leech Lake Jumbos, Walleyes, and pike.  Slip bobbers and leeches/shiners also have put fish in the boat being either fished in the weeds or windblown points.   East End/Main Lake On the Main Lake, the rocks still were producing a great bite as well as some of the East End points such as Battle, Sugar, and Five Mile when the strong Westerly winds were blowing.  Annex, Submarine, Pelican, and North Bar were all producing fish in 10-14ft of water. Lindy Rigs with leeches or shiners seemed to work best, but the biggest fish still seem to want a 1/8th or 1/4oz jig and shiner.  
      Leech Lake Crappie and Bluegill fishing still remains strong.  When the weather warms up for a couple days both species are moving onto their beds and are actively feeding.  Looking to Boy Bay, Millers Bay, Shingobee, and Steamboat for the best action in 3-6 feet of water.  Just remember to use selective harvest as these fish are more vulnerable.