Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ditchparrotspreferred

Little Gabbro Lake

6 posts in this topic

I am heading to Little Gabbro for a few days in June. Can anyone point me to some good fishing areas on or connected to this lake? Thanks in advance.

Hit the narrows between the two lakes, and where the river comes into Gabbro from Bald Eagle.

You will have good fishing on Big Gabro, try around the first island to the north. You can also go down the lake to where Bald eagle runs into Gabro and fish below the rapids there. Also the current between Gabro and Bald Eagle can be good.

Just don't waste your time in the Kawishiwi River. There are absolutely no walters below the rapids, at the end of the portage from Little Gabbro. Heck there are no walters upstream a few bends, below a much bigger set of rapids either.

Flatlander,

Well, that depends how early in June. There are fish below just about every riffle from early May to sometime around the middle of June. Then it gets pretty slow for many parts of the Kawishiwi.

That's a good point. The last few years, I've done a 4-5 day basecamp fishing trip on the Kawishiwi, but that was always late-May. I've never found any really big girls, lots of 12"-17". There are some monster Pike roaming though. I had one that hit a 16"er on my stringer, that left chomp marks from the middle of the dorsal fin up to the walters snout. It was just a big shadow coming up through the stained water. Made the trip that year.