Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deep_Sinker

Fishing in the Paul Bunyan State Forest???

9 posts in this topic

Hello,

I'm going to a buddies cabin this weekend near the old lake alice store. (in P.B. SF between Hwy. 71 and Co. 4) Does anyone know of any lakes that we should try fishing? Spider? Coon? Is Blacksmith open for winter fishing?

Also, what are the snowmobile trails currently like?

Fish Lake Itasca in the Park, you will be close to it at Lake Alice, I think they ice fish Lake Alice too.

Deep- I would hit up Big Mantrap. It has a nice variety of fish and is pretty easily accesable and not to far from you area. My parents have a place on spider and the crappie action can be good however it was slow the only time that I vetured out there this year.

Dan

Blacksmith is closed to fishing in the winter...it is a designated trout lake. If you want Rainbow trout go try Blue lake. It has plenty of Rainbows and the DNR opened it to winter Trout fishing for the first time this year. I caught a couple of nice Rainbows (15" & 17") out there a few weeks back...definitely worth trying. The folks that fish Blue are very tight lipped so you probably won't hear anything about Blue on this web site or at the bait shops for either walleye or Rainbow action.

can't fish alice it is private. itasca is good though.

I would stop and ask a resident or two if you could access Alice through their yard... whats the worst they could say? I've never been totally shut-out. If you knock on enough doors you get on. Alice is a GREAT lake for big panfish.

I thought there was an DNR access on the west side of the lake?

I believe the access is located on 390th St.

there was a access on the lake about 60 years ago. i think you would have a tough time getting access, i have a cabin on alice and i know my neighbors, everyone knows who is up at all times. but you are right about the panfish they are huge.

If Alice is a no, go further north on county road 3 and try

Lake Hattie. Have had good luck in the past for gills on

Hattie. There is a sunken island in the middle that probably

would be your best place to start. Feel free to send me a

PM and I will give you some more info.

Opps, forgot about your second question. Trails are in POOR

condition, but if we get the snow tonight that is predicted

trails will be fine for the weekend.

Woody