Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carpenter

Dead Lake & Star Lake

9 posts in this topic

Some family members and I are making our annual fishing trip to Dead this weekend (and possibly Star as well) and I'm wondering how the bite has been as well as ice/snow conditions. How thick's the ice and is there too much snow to dive a pickup on the ice? Any help would be appreciated.

You should be able to drive around pretty easily, but I can't help you with a report. Those Vergas guys are pretty tight lipped about the action out there. I did hear they were getting some panfish on Long in Vergas but don't know where.

Fished Star, West and East lost the past 2 weekends and did

alright on Star but the other 2 lakes were real busy and I think

hurt he bite. talked to some guys in the triple play in Dent and

they did real well on Dead on the northwest side of the lake, pretty vague, but maybe an area to start.

Thanks for the info. The biggest thing is the ice and the snow. I'd rather not drag the wheeler there if I don't have to. Any issues with deep snow? I doubt it as we don't hardly have any here in Brainerd. We typically stay to the SW bay of Dead. Have a couple favorite spots there, plus it's close to the cabin.

Thanks,

Mike

I was just on Star this last weekend and you should be able to go where ever you want pretty much, not much snow on the lake,

Grandad did you have any luck, we caught some large crappies and

sunfish but the bite was real light and real short, bunch of hammer handles, but the day bite was tough one.

Not to good of luck, but we only fished for a couple of hours in the morning 2 crappies and snake northers but thats what I was after for the smoker but they were just a little smaller than normal. My friend is up there working all this week he is hitting Star tonigh and is going to try for some crappies we will see how he does.

Just looked at the weather, doesn't look like we picked a good weekend. 5-10 below for Saturday!! \:\(

Any hints on locations on Star? I think we were out there last year on the south bay. Didn't have a ton of luck. I think it was cold and windy then too.

The south Arm is a good spot to try. There is a road right out

off of beaver Dam road. Might blow shut with the weather that

they are talking about but was open last weekend. Try 15 to 18

for crappies and sunfish. There are couple house white/tan to

the right fish north and right of that. there are also a string

out three houses to the north. Crappies and sunfish there. This

is all a at dark to after dark bite. red glow jig and spikes.