Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shooter_mcgavin

Fish Safe to Eat?

17 posts in this topic

I couldn't find any consumption advisories for the St. Croix. I assume the fish are ok to eat?

Them sheepshead are TAAASTY! I eat fish out of the river, my pregnant wife will only eat one meal a month. LB

Johnny_Da - sweet info, thanks for the post! Looks like the DNR info is outdated..

I guess you should only eat sheepshead once a week! LB

The MN Dept of Health has much info on this subject.

Minnesota takes great care in testing the lakes for the consumption advisory, and I believe has strict standards and errors on the side of caution when it comes to formulating consumption advisories. From what I have read as long as you aren’t eating numerous meals a week you are fine (and not pregnant). Also I find it interesting to compare the St. Croix or the Mississippi to up north lakes, like say Crane, if you covered the names up I bet you couldn’t pick one from the other.

Turk

Be careful shooter BLUE will eat ANYTHING!! Actually I myself just enjoyed a meal of fish from the Croix and I am still upright.

Thanks for the link. Anyone see a date on that study?

Originally Posted By: Fishin4aLivin
Be careful shooter BLUE will eat ANYTHING!! Actually I myself just enjoyed a meal of fish from the Croix and I am still upright.

I saw that.....sheapshead?! crazy.gif Although I tried to release a white bass the other day but the airbladder was coming out its mouth, so its goin in the fryin pan tonight......never tried one before. Are they good?

I have never cleaned a white bass but I've heard from lots of people that they have some red meat and as long you cut all the red meat off the rest of it is really good. I also had a pretty good meal out of the Croix last week.

Thanks for the replies. I left the red meat on the filet (looked like a pretty thin layer of red meat; almost transluscent). Pretty cool lookin filet, reminded me of a snapper filet.

Originally Posted By: Fishin4aLivin
Be careful shooter BLUE will eat ANYTHING!!

Hey buddy, times are tough with the economy going into the tank and all... And you were wondering how we went through all those minnows last weekend! Micro sushi, my favorite grin.gif

Originally Posted By: shooter_mcgavin
Thanks for the link. Anyone see a date on that study?

If you follow the link to the top left of the lakes/rivers info (Information on the mercury, PCB and PFOS levels corresponding to the meal advice categories) it shows a date of April 2007. It is definitely more up to date than the DNR info.

Originally Posted By: shooter_mcgavin
Pretty cool lookin filet, reminded me of a snapper filet.

How'd they taste? I heard they're pretty good in the winter months.

Originally Posted By: uwleagle
I also had a pretty good meal out of the Croix last week.

See, another vote for fresh freshwater drum... whistle.gif

LB

White bass are most similar in taste to a crappie, very good. Just like a catfish, you should cut the bloodline out, which is that red strip of meat on the skin side of the fillet. It has a real muddy taste and can ruin it, and obviusly the larger the fish the more red meat it will have and it becomes more important. I get the feeling that whiteys are underappreciated, is that true? I would give anything to get on a hot whity bite right now, any time of year for that matter. Has anyone got into them, or is it the random one that bites while fishing for something else.

I am also curious if the Croix has much for bluegills, anyone know? Any place connected to the Mississippi is always a good bet for big gills, so I would assume they are in the Croix too.

In the summer I hook into them way more often then I would like (fishing for them eyes). But this winter haven't had even one hit my offerings.

I found a nice pod of gills a week or so ago... I was fishing in 33 fow, just outside of a 17 foot flat off the shore (Bayport area). Caught 'em on a glow red diamond jig and waxie but I bet some of those plastics would work well too... they weren't huge but they were pretty good eater sized!

I want to try Sheephead, but have had the walleyes, perch, crappies, whitebass, saugers, and another type and all were mighty tasty!

I think white bass are pretty tasty also. I have always have the best luck with white bass in the spring on the backwaters of the Croix. When they are mating they will hit anything. I have also caught my biggest whiteys in the spring also.

I've been eating fish from the croix for at least 20 yrs or so, and i havn't grown any extra toes or fingers its all good!! Although I do have alot of hair on my back do you think this could be from the croix ??