Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt Breuer

Fishing 2/1 -2/3....

10 posts in this topic

Chased some fishies over the weekend and had some luck...

Friday night we hit Bemidji for some eelpout action, fished from 7-10 pm and only managed 1 fish but man was it tasty... ;\)

Saturday we hit some local haunts for some pannie action and were rewarded with 80-90 bluegills and crappies mixed. We kept 25 mixed for a fish fry that night. Biggest crappie was 12.5" and the bigger 'gills were in the 9-9.75" range and went back. We went to the perm and cleaned fish and started cooking, catching 2 more pout while we were out there.

It was a nice weekend on the ice! I hope others made it out and enjoyed the decent temps!

Here's a pic of Tim with one of the nicer 'gills from Sat. Caught on a Phelp's Snake Jig in 16' of water...

timtickgill3ny3.jpg

Nice gill there Matt. Fishing was a little slow for us on Friday night as you know, I was with Woodman, think you guys talked on the cell a couple times that night. Saturday I took the wife and boys out and hit the perch pretty good, but that was it.

Buck

Matt, how deep have you been finding the gills lately? I see you posted 16' has that been pretty typical or have they been deeper?

Too bad that guy never smiles! grin.gif Good report and yes Up North you should have gotten out of bed early on Sunday to get in on all of the action! whistle.gif Thanks for the help, at least nothing else went bad that day! \:D

Perch, to be honest with you I've been chasing 'gills a lot lately, and have found them in 4' in one lake, and suspended over 21' on the next. Every lake is different, and they seem to still be roaming for the most part. We'll pop 6 fish in a hole then move around for 5 minutes and re-find the school. 12-16' has been the best though, as most lakes have been putting out some in that depth range. You can start in 14' and work either way until you find 'em, that would be my suggestion....

Buck, yeah, eelpout fishing was poor on Friday night. We marked 2 fish, caught 1. Sat. night was much better however, as we marked 10 or so, and iced a couple.

Thanks Matt. I tried to find the gills at first ice and just a few weeks after the snow and couldn't find them, I haven't tried since but will be soon.

Nice fish boys!! Glad to hear you had some success. Sounds like a really good time. I haven't eaten any "Poor Man's Lobster" yet this year, but will as the winter goes on I am sure. Received a call last night from a friend who was on Bemidji yesterday eve and he actually caught a Crappie about 9". I have never caught one out there, but have seen a few.

Matt Phelps

Welcome Phelps- Long time no speak! Shoot me an email so we can catch up! grin.gif We will have to head out the the houses one of these nights. Just ask Tiffany for the key and how her fishing has been! grin.gif

I caught two crappies on Bemidji a couple years ago on the south end. Those are the only ones I have ever caught out there.

Thanks Woodman! It has been awhile. Sorry I had to run when you guys stopped in the office awhile back.

I would love to get out to the houses one of these days. I will get in touch with ya.

Fishslayer, the crappie I mentioned was caught on the south end also.

Matt