Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sheephead24

northern bait

18 posts in this topic

what is the best bait to throw on a tip up on Red? Is frozen smelt better than live suckers? and what size sucker minnows work the best up there? thanks

Sounds like a glow demon and a crappie minnow is working for a lot of people.

I was told this weekend to use a hot dog on a tip up for them big northerns??? Anybody else heard this and had any luck? Tried it without any luck this weekend. Tried suckers too. I had always caught one or two 30+ inch northerns up there while chasing the walleyes and crappies. So now we put tip ups out and dont catch any! Figures...:)

A hot dog! I bet the guy that told you to try that is laughing right now.

Ya gotta put ketchup on it

Also the wheat buns have a tendency to hold longer on the treble hook.

Try a relish skirt on your dog - it brings 'em right in !!

Any one else hear this about using suckers on tip-ups.

I read(internet article) that suckers will get tired after a while and not move around. Basically they will sit there and not move. While on the other hand shiners will continue to move as long as they live.

If this is true, knowing that movement brings in fish on URL, would shiners be a better option?

I've heard of tip up fisherman using hotdogs as well. Personally I've never tried it myself.

I figure that the hotdogs are supposed to be for the fisherman. ;\)

Don't forget to try a transducer! We had about a 40 incher bumping one of my buddies from his vex.

Ditto to this, I know of a group of guys that have hammered the northerns on these in the past. I don't know where they did it, but I'm sure it's true.

Strange as it seems I seen a number of northerns caught on hot dogs. One guy I know uses hot dogs quite often.

Would you get bigger ones if ya used brats?

Thats funny cause when I was told to use hot dogs of course I did not have any. All I had was a pack of 6 brats. There was 3 of us in the house and those 6 brats were our dinner that night. Paper rock scissors to see who only got 1 brat. Well, we ended up saving the one brat and tried that all weekend with no luck. We figured the guy that told us that is still laughing at us for believing him. Im suprised to here so many people have actually heard this...

good luck finding any shiners this year anymore! We have been sold out for over 2 weeks in the metro area.

Do the bait stores in the Bemidji/URL area have shiners?

So would you use a regular dog or a cheese dog? Maybe the cheese gots more flavor for them.

Bemidji and Balckduck have shiners, I don't think anyone at URL has them. Not sure about Dr. Tackle in Kelliher.