Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
brainerdGuy

crappies on rice in brainerd

5 posts in this topic

Any help find the big crappies and what color lure or minnows and depth? THAAAAAAAAAANKS

Based on my experience ice fishing Rice Lake, there is no magical spot. The bay where you see all the houses is more or less of a bowl.

Just find a spot away from the crowd, look for 20-28 feet of water, and you'll probably find the crappies/sunfish. Was out there this week, and livebait far outproduced plastics. Didn't land any monster slabs, but could have kept enough for a nice meal.

Had my house out there for a while, but I couldn't handle the crowd anymore, but yeah the bay is a bowl.

I agree I caught everything on just a jig and minnow, nothing fancy, I did manage a few 12-13 inchers, but their few and far between. Get away from the crowd and youll catch fish.

I've been fishing rice for a couple weeks now, with the best luck on a plain hook and minnow. Rice reminds me of the fish houses in Grumpy Old Men...all stacked up next to each other!!!

Don’t use a minnow, they are lightly biting. Use a small 1/64 oz jig head, or smaller if have one. Tip that with a wiggly (some soft plastic worm with lots of tail movement.) you can tip it with waxy or eruo, But I never use bait. Just that good. (lol)

Stick to you white color, rice is pretty mercy.