Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
musky_tail05

Long lake trout

9 posts in this topic

Heading out to Long lake (by Itasca) tomorrow a.m. to try for some rainbows. I've never fished it before. Anyone have some recent reports/advise? Thanks for any info.

check the trout forum, as there was a length post given on tactics for catching stream trout through the ice.

bottom line is, your spot on the lake is not as important, due to the roaming nature of the rainbow. they will swim laps around the lake, so no need to worry about setting up along structure. I personally like to sight fish in the shallows as this increases the likelihood of catching one. Panfish gear like small jigs (I like a size 10 genz bug) tipped with waxies will work great. I don't believe Long is "designated" so minnows would be legal. you should be able to catch them on crappie minnows and a bobber and, or on a jigging spoon.

The best tip, is to get there early. I've caught more trout before in the hour before and after sunrise than the rest of the day combined.

good luck!

JP, I read in the trout fourm you had'nt iced a brown, a friend of mine caught one on the winter opener a few years back out on Long, sight fished it out of my shack. A Fluke? there must be a few around...?

Go Giants!

Ted, I'd say it's likely a fluke. It's possible the Bemidji office did not update the stocking report on the website (low likelihood). Every so often there are extra fish from the hatcheries that get stocked, but typically the stocking is noted on their reports and it is reflected on the website.. Could have been a bucket biologist that put the fish in there. Either way, it's a lucky catch!

So, are Hubbard County trout are game during the winter? I only ask cause I'm planning on hitting some lakes around the Coon Lake area and I know of a small trout lake close by.

Only Blue Lake is open for winter trout fishing in Hubbard county. Blacksmith, Crappie, and Newman are all closed.

Dan

Originally Posted By: thedanimalkmk
Only Blue Lake is open for winter trout fishing in Hubbard county. Blacksmith, Crappie, and Newman are all closed.

Dan

That's correct, only Blue is open in the winter

Long Lake is in Clearwater county incase anyone is wondering why it is open in the winter. I wish Hubbard would open the rest of its trout lakes to winter angling...

Brian- Hubbard Co. has no say on if it's trout lakes are open in the winter, it's up to MN DNR Fisheries to open them.