Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
camdu7

Need a little help with Lakers

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I'm going to taking my dad up to Burntside to try to catch some lakers next week. It will be the first time for us and I'm looking for a little help. No honey holes needed just some pointers to get us heading in the right direction. You can pm me at camdu7@yahoo.com. If you don't want to put it out on here.

Thanks'

Cam

cam,

There is really no such thing as a secret spot for lake trout. You can litterally catch them anywhere between 15 and 100 feet of water. I tend to fish between 30-60 feet of water. They can be anywhere on the lake-rock humps, deep shoreline breaks, mud flats, it doesn't matter. All you need to do is pick something that looks good out on the map and drill some holes. A steep shoreline break off of a point or island is always good and Burntside is loaded with them!

Good Luck

Justin

I agree with Justin about secret spots, this is the closest thing to a freshwater palagic fish in these types of lakes that we have. I will tell you this I look for "neck down areas" as they are natural funnels for these travelers. Also look for big shelves that go all the way from shore well out into the lake that have water in the 30-80 range. If there is a honey hole it will be and isolated hump that probably tops out at 35-40 ft and is surrounded by some of the deepest water in the lake. bring big and small lures, our best color was chartruese, and we always used minnow heads. Fish hard and stay confident.

I could also use a little help. I am looking to make a trip to Burntside and am wondering what suggestions people have for entering the lake.

As of right now I was hoping to drive out, but will consider renting a snowmobile. Wondering if anybody knows of a cheaper rental place as I wouldn't be putting too many miles on the sled. Just using it to pull the house out onto the lake. Also, anybody know of any cheap motels to stay?

camdu and jdndey, get the sportsman's connection book of maps of St. Louis County, and Burntside is in there. You've already gotten good advice on tackle and locations. Literally any place you find on the map that matches the advice given will be a good laker spot.

People are driving all over Burntside. Nearly two feet of ice and very little snow. I'm not in a position to recommend that, but there's a road plowed off the Van Vac public landing now. It's a contractor's road, but everyone will use it. Just make sure to park off the road and don't drill your holes anywhere near it. Those folks NEED that road to make a living.

The Paddle Inn is about the most affordable and decent motel in town.

Good luck, and I hope you connect! grin.gif

Thanks Stfcatfish

Burntside Lake has current and notorious thin ice areas in it, so please contact a local bait shop before you venture out there. There is not 2 feet of ice all over the lake, so I wouldn't recommend a 1 ton truck with a huge wheelhouse drive all over the place. Where I was fishing today had 16" of ice. I am driving my 1/2 ton truck in VERY LIMITED areas that I have been drilling holes and fishing very heavy the past two weeks. When venturing out in unknown areas, I am using a snowmobile.

Has anyone driven all the way back to the crab creek area with a truck?

Blaine we can just ask Brandon to go, he'll drive anywhere!!!

Good point

Originally Posted By: Capt.Blaine
Has anyone driven all the way back to the crab creek area with a truck?

Yes, but as I always caution, I can't recommend it. I'm driving a Toyota 4Runner on the ice, and it's significantly lighter than a full-sized 1/2 ton 4x4 pickup.

And, of course, FAR lighter than the 1-ton truck and wheelhouse Justin for some reason mentioned. confused.gif

Please note that when a question is asked about what people are doing, I will answer it truthfully. However, no ice is safe, and you will never see me pushing someone to drive a vehicle out on the ice. That is a personal decision best left to each of us.

Anyone who decides to drive on the ice in a large vehicle should absolutely not pass between islands or close to shores. These neckdown areas often have current, and the closer to shore you get, the more snow you have and the thinner the ice can be because of that insulation.

Capt.Blaine

As Justin stated, we were fishing in an area with 16 inches of ice today and I know for sure it was one of the first areas on the lake to freeze.

Not sure I'd try a full size truck to the Crab Creek/School Section Bay area, quite yet.

Thanks for the replies guys, we may have to take the sleds.