Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hookmaster

Basin Walleye in Minnetonka

5 posts in this topic

I was thinking that if the walleyes on LOW go out and roam the basin, why wouldn’t walleyes on Minnetonka do this also? Last Sunday, I set up in the basin between two reefs that are about a quarter of a mile apart with a consistent 36 foot depth. A fish came in and hit the Angel Eye with a minnow head. The drag slipped on the hookset so I thought I would be lucky to land it. Well sure enough about half-way up it got off. */?#%@ As I was grumbling to myself, I saw the fish heading back to the bottom. I fired the spoon back down and caught up to it about 8 feet from the bottom. The fish came up to the spoon but didn’t hit it. Down it goes again. I intercepted it at 4 feet from the bottom, the fish came up to it and this time hit it. Yes, I had tightened my drag so the hookset was good. After a short fight I iced a nice, plump 20” walleye at 2:15 in the afternoon. About 3:30 I moved up on one of the reefs and fished until 6:00 without anything showing up on the flasher. Has anyone else tried basin fishing on Minnetonka? Any luck?

I have not tried it on Tonka. Not that I wouldn't think it would work, but just have numerous spots that consistantly produce fish.

You may be on to something for midday fishing, though. I applaud your efforts for thinking "out of the box" Congrats on your find.

How do you protect the fish coming up from that depth...just take your time when reeling it in so the air bag doesn't come up the throat?

Maybe the key is to lose them half-way up the first time you hook them to temper them a little to the depth change. \:D I don't horse fish in but don't baby them either. I only caught the one fish but if some showed signs of having swim bladder issues I would either try reeling them in very slowly or find a shallower spot.

One factor to consider is Minnetonka does not have baitfish that tend to roam open water like ciscoes. LOW and Mille Lacs do so you will walleyes roaming the basins after those baitfish. Minnetonka does not have true basin roaming walleye schools.

During the day Tonka walleyes will drop down to 30ft or more close to areas they will feed at night. If there is no structure nearby there will be no walleyes. The spot you mention to me is not a true open basin but is still structure related. It is a good spot for daylight walleyes. As it gets darker you just move towards the structure following the walleyes.