• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Pet Insurance

Ralph Wiggum

Just wondering if anyone out there carries pet insurance. We're getting our first dog this summer, and I'm wondering if it is a good idea. What types of things are covered? Who are some good carriers? How much will it cost?

Thanks!

Ralph,

We have our dog on VPI; payment is taken out at same time our health insurance is, very convenient. Coverage is great; you can check out their site to see coverage. Most coverage is 60-80% depending on what the expense is for. Very much worth it in my opinion; especially with a hunting dog and the unexpected injuries they seem to run into from time to time.

TRITC

I have VPI....and pay around $30/month for my 2.5yo lab.

1) They do cover some expenses such as heartworm and frontline, so you get some money back after purchasing those.

2) They do NOT cover hereditary diseases/defects. Hip dysplasia/elbow displasia, ligament issues that are classified as hereditary are not covered. Nor is any testing/x-ray related to this causes.

3) Usually there is a deductible...I think mine is $50. So, if I go the the vet for an ear infection and the cost is like $120, I would get back like $60 or $70.

I am thinking about canceling it now, as my pup is over two years old. My original plan was to cover him until 2yo in case he swallowed something as a pup or somehow hurt himself as a youngster in the field hunting. I may just take the $30/month and put it into an account instead to cover any expenses.

Originally Posted By: 311Hemi
I may just take the $30/month and put it into an account instead to cover any expenses.

That's what we're thinking about doing. Just wondering if the insurance was worth it.

If you have a Petsmart around you, check out banfield. They are the vet in Petsmarts. I have had insurance for 3 years. $20/month is what my plan runs me. All appointments, shots, etc. are covered and if surgery is needed, you get a discount. It also covered the full cost of my dog being spayed.

Banfield Site

Do you have to put a value on the dog? I had my female insured for 25k but the company stopped doing pets. I'm wondering if the premium is different depending on the value declared.