• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

.223 loads

harvey lee

I'm looking to purchase some 223 loads for this rifle for yotes and fox. I would like a load that is fast, flat shooting and will be able to do the 300 yards shots.

Remington 700 SPS varmit.

brand and bullet weight would be great.

Harvey,

For factory loads, you simply can't beat Black Hills ammo. Try the 55 grain soft points or the 52 gr HPBT. They now run around $24/ box of 50 rounds.

I was at Gander in Woodbury last Friday and couldn't find any 223 loads at all. I've read that they're sparse everywhere.

If you are after accuracy a lot depends on the gun barrel rate of twist. If you have a slow rate of twist such as a 1 in 10 or slower the rifle should like lighter bullets from 55 gr. or lighter. If you have a 1 in 8 or a 1 in 9 twist, the gun generally will like heavier bullets from 55 gr and up. I would test the different rounds to see what works best.

Speed is nice, but good accuracy is better.

I really like the black hills 50 grain vmax. shoots great out of my CZ with a 1 to 12 twist.

Harvey, I have an ar15 with a 1:9 twist and it has shot everything from 50-60 grains pills really well. Hornady vmax 55 grainers are what I am using right now, both factory hornady and ones that I roll myself. I also have so 60 grain vmax that I need to shoot and sight in. Hornday makes a really nice bullet, it is all I shoot.

I noticed fleet farm had the 55 gr. vmax hornady's for 15 bucks a box of 20, which is 10 bucks less than gander across the highway.

Black hills makes really good ammo as well, and is reloaded with vmax as well as other manufacturers a bullets.

I purchased some Black Hills ammo in 55 grain and also some 52 grain. Now, I need to do some test firing to see which bullets will perform the best.