Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
randallt

Best Fish House Batteries?

11 posts in this topic

Just wanted to see what everyone thinks is the best battery brand for a fish house. I have 12 volt lights and furnace, so I use two batteries. It seems that this really cold weather is zapping my old ones, so I am going to replace. Just wondering if the Optima's are worth the $$ or what other brands you guys have had luck with.

I also normally leave them in the house when not in use unless they need charging. That is probably not the best, so do you guys take them home if with you every trip?

I used to run Interstate deep cycle (group 27 size) and they did real well. I didn't have a forced air furnace, but with radio, TV and lights one battery would last almost the entire weekend.

i always take mine home.cold weather takes a toll on them.

I use Interstates as well. (Deep Cycle)

I usually leave my heat set to around 45 degrees so they stay in the house. When heater is off, they come home with me and get charged.

I took mine out every time as well. They needed to be charged by the time I left, and not taken by punks that break in.

Originally Posted By: LMITOUT
I used to run Interstate deep cycle (group 27 size) and they did real well. I didn't have a forced air furnace, but with radio, TV and lights one battery would last almost the entire weekend.

What size and type of TV are you using? I don't have a lot of experience but I can't ever seem to get a TV to last more than a couple of hours on a trolling motor battery.

I have a 15" LCD. They use a lot less juice than a regular CRT (tube) TV.

Deep cycle batts from boat have always worked for me. I always bring them home with me for a fresh charge. Get rid of the buzz killer(tv) and get xm satalite radio, battery should last all weekend.

Optima batteries are a great choice for a fish house. They charge a lot faster than a conventional flooded wet cell, which is important if you use a generator to charge your batteries. Also, Optima's are sealed so they won't leak, and are lighter to carry if you take your battery home with you to recharge between trips. Another nice feature is they discharge extremely slowly; you can let a fully charged battery sit for a year without problems. I've had lots of Optima's in my trucks and boats, they are excellent batteries.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

I have had good luck with Interstate deep cycle batterys but if your furnace uses juice you may want to invest in a generater (gas).that will solve the prob.I got a honda 2000 spendy but worth every penny.Good Luck. Wes Ellis

Thanks for the info. I do have a honda generator, but when I have my house local, I prefer to just bring the batteries home to charge. On weekends I will take generator. THe optima sounds nice with the quick charge etc. How do they do if they freeze? WIll it ruin them or will it act like a regular deep cycle?